/dist/images/branding/favicon

Need help troubleshooting an M10 that won't initialize.

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by David Maynard, Dec 5, 2021.

1. David Maynard

David Maynard New Member

Hello all, I'm brand new to the MōVI world and recently purchased an M5 and an M10 (that was described as "built taking some of the best parts of the M10 and M15), so the M10 isn't stock as far as I know.

My problem is that the M10 won't initialize. The seller showed me a video if it working correctly before shipping, and I have never been able to get it to boot up. When turning on power, the 3 lights flash quickly pretty much indefinitely. I would love if someone can help me troubleshoot, as I have reached a wall on my own.

Details of what I have done:
    1) I have the M5 fully operational so I know what correct startup behavior looks like.
    2) I am using a brand new-ish, properly charged battery that works with the M5.
    3) The gimbal is as still as it can possible be on the stand when I hit power.
    4) I have read the owner's manual and as suggested, I've checked all wires that I can reach without disassembly. All wires appear to be in good physical condition without abnormal twisting, chaffing, or kinks.
    5) I've unplugged and reseated the IMU Puck wire on both ends, assuming I figured out what the IMU is correctly. (See last photo below)
    6) I've pressed on the connectors of all exposed wire terminals to be sure they are firmly seated, and they appear to be.

Observations:
    1) I have not unplugged and reseated any connections besides the IMU, just pressed on them as mentioned in #6 above, as I anticipate my fat fingers will have a very hard time getting them back in.
    2) The manual states "If a wire has come completely unplugged, refer to the Wiring Diagram for the appropriate connection point." I am unable to find a wiring diagram to confirm all wires are plugged into the right place. I would be extremely surprised if the seller would operate the gimbal and then change the wiring before shipping, however I can't rule that out yet.

I can't think of anything else that's relevant at this time. It seems like a little bit of a hail Mary to get this kind of help here, but I'm hoping for the best.

A couple pictures so you can see the brains layout for this setup:

PXL_20211206_022747976.jpg PXL_20211206_022811202.jpg

And what I'm assuming is the IMU connector. I see there are two sockets, if someone can confirm it's plugged in to the correct side, that would be great.

PXL_20211206_022844459.jpg

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Is it balanced and perfectly still when you switch it on? Do you have a battery tester you can try, too?

3. David Maynard

David Maynard New Member

Yes, to both. Perfectly still, perfectly balanced, perfect battery.

4. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

did you check that top connection? undo those 4 screws near the lights on the top on the m10 this connector can come loose when packing and unpacking

David Maynard likes this.
  5. David Maynard

David Maynard New Member

Is it too much to say I love you? The circled connection was completely unplugged. It boots, but now it has what I might describe as a "death buzz" as soon as it boots. I think it's the tilt motor freaking out. Any thoughts on that? I am SO glad I asked for help, I felt bad coming on here as a complete newb and asking.

PXL_20211206_033313077.png

6. Graham Futerfas

The buzzing is usually a motor stiffness set too high. You have to go in the app to adjust the tuning. Man, it’s been a while since I’ve used an M-series Movi.

7. David Maynard

David Maynard New Member

That's what I am thinking. I'm just kind of afraid to leave it rattling away like that while I get Bluetooth connected and all that. I suppose I should verify that since this unit has wifi, it also has bluetooth?

8. Graham Futerfas

You probably won't hurt it with the buzzing, but you could also put a hand on the cage to give it some weight.
    I never had wifi on my M15, so I can't answer that. I had a dedicated Android tablet for it, but it was on older software.

David Maynard likes this.
  9. David Maynard

David Maynard New Member

It doesn't appear to have Bluetooth, just wifi

The SSID shows up on my Android phone, says device connected, but the Movi app won't see or connect to the gimbal. I'm a little baffled.

I did a wifi reset with the orange button, and it behaves like I would expect it should. After 8-10 seconds the gimbal goes limp and then after another 5-10 seconds, it comes back happily buzzing away.

I think I'm going to try from my laptop tomorrow.

10. Graham Futerfas

Are you using the correct version of the app? I believe there is more than one, and the one for the M10 is different from the more common Movi Pro.

11. David Maynard

David Maynard New Member

Yes, I am using the correct app V2.2.0 for M5/M10/M15. It works fine with my M5 on Bluetooth.

12. David Maynard

David Maynard New Member

Ok, so this thread is way off from it's original intent. Just a bit of cleanup from anyone who might find this in the future:

The solution to my original problem was the connector shown in post #5

The buzzing was definitely stiffness set way too high

I still have not been able to connect to the gimbal using wifi from my android phones (one on Android 12, the other on Android 9), but I can connect from my laptop (Windows 11) to "rescue" the settings and tune to my camera setup.

Thank you to those who stepped in to help!

13. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

14. David Maynard

David Maynard New Member

Surely not if the unit already has wifi built in. I can succesfully connect to the wifi through a windows laptop, but my Androids see the SSID, the phone shows connected to the gimbals SSID, but the Movi app won't connect to the gimbal.

15. David Maynard

David Maynard New Member

Yeah, I've run autotune several times at different settings (between roughly 65-75%) and it keeps setting the tilt too high (around 30-36) and it will buzz like crazy. I can get rid of most of the buzzing around tilt = 10-12 but it still makes a little noise just sitting on the stand.

If I pick it up by the top handle it will vibrate pretty bad at certain angles. I've tightened all the screws I can find and that doesn't seem to be the issue, even though a few were probably looser than they should be.