/dist/images/branding/favicon

Smart Aerials Showreel.

Discussion in 'CineStar Showcase (Photo/Video)' started by Alex Smart, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Alex Smart

Alex Smart Member

2. Brandon Loeser

I think it looks great. It's a good length too. Great locations. My only suggestion is to add your logo and contact info to the beginning and at the end for about 5 seconds. That way they don't have to watch the whole thing to get your info and it's not on the screen for too long. Nicely done.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I liked the opening where you gradually get more altitude, raising the viewer's awareness of the "how did they do that shot?" question.

Would it be possible to put in more of those "impossible except with a copter" shots where you start out a ground level, pulling back and going up to 150 meters.....or fly through an archway, etc.?

But I agree, it's a nicely executed demo reel -- but will they ask if you use a full-sized helicopter? :)

Andy.

4. Alex Smart

Alex Smart Member

Thanks Brandon and Andy for your sugestions!!Ill give it a go!!
    Thanks again!
    Alex

5. Alex Smart

Alex Smart Member

Ok,heres the definitive version!!

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

7. Marc BRACELET

Marc BRACELET Active Member

Very nice :cool: , just a question :

Do you have uploaded in 50P to Vimeo ?

8. Alex Smart

Alex Smart Member

Hi MArc,

I think the video is uploaded at 720 - 25 - P

9. Marc BRACELET

Ok Alex, i think you have a little problem with the 50p/25p converting, i notice some few jerks in the picture (may be i'm crazy and it' s my computer...:rolleyes:) , oh nothing serious, but I think that there should be a small change to make in your settings to export and everything'll be perfect.
    Can you tell me what is your method for mounting and encode everything. If I can 't help it will be with great pleasure.

Marc.:cool:

Ps : your video is like a sunbeam for me...

10. Alex Smart

Alex Smart Member

Hi Marc,
    OMG! The VIMEO version is crap!!!really jumpy on the screen! As soon as I contact my editor I ll let you know the details, thanks for the observation, I ve been sending this all around and its crap :mad:!
    by the way, thanks for the compliments!

11. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

The good news about using Vimeo is that they let you replace the underlying video file itself without taking down the view count, comments, URL, etc. So just get a better version of the file and look in the Vimeo settings and replace the file.

12. Marc BRACELET

Just a question Alex, do you work on a 50p timeline or 25p timeline with CX730 footage...?

I' ve try this and have kool result with :

1 - Place all my CX730 footage on a 50p timeline
    2 - Cut my footage(s) on a 50p timeline (FX, slow motion, stab...)
    3 - Export my "Final Cut" in 50p
    4 - Put my video (50p) on 25p timeline
    5 - Reexport in 25p an that's all...:cool:

13. Mark Melville

Mark Melville Member

Quite nice Alex. As somebody who's had hoards of Showreels over the years as a D.O.P I think you found an excellent compromise between length and quality. Producers can tell within 30 seconds if they found their guy. The only criticism I'll make is that you have a couple of shots that are almost redundant. Less is more as the old saying goes. Other than that excellent job and I hope it gets you some gigs.

14. Alex Smart

Alex Smart Member

Thank you very much Mark, I highly apreciate any kind of constructive criticism. I m now on my next one based on extrem sports in mallorca mountains, this time I may do it a litle shorter not repeating concepts or involving unnecesary shots.
    On the gig side its a bit slow here in Spain but have an interview on tuesday with turisim businesmen!touching wood!
    I would also apreciate some info on pricing orientacion here in Europe.
    Many thanks,
    Alex

15. Matt Wilmot

Matt Wilmot New Member

Great job, well done.

16. Mark Melville

Mark Melville Member

Hey Alex I remember what it was like building a showreel. My first reel was 20 minutes long and all I had was my first film on it. Hahaha. I was young and very naive. Now my showreel is 2:20.

As far as rates go what I might suggest is to find out what a full scale helicopter with a Wescam or Spacecam would cost by the hour. In Italy the Wescam is 2000 Euro for a day and the helicopter is about 1500 per hour plus fuel. Typically a full day is about 10,000 Euro with that system. So I would think 1500 to 2500 a day should be very fair for 2 people plus the bird. Then again it also depends on the people ur working with and how much money they have. In the beginning it might be worth discounting so you can build a showreel and reputation.

17. Alex Smart

Alex Smart Member

Thanks Matt!
    Thanks very much Marc for you advice! That sounds good, I m charging a bit lower rates here till things spring up..As you say, depends who your shooting for.
    I got a gig today!!Promotional video for our valley starting ASAP weather permiting!:)

18. Mark Melville

Mark Melville Member

Good for you!!! Get out there, shoot some nice material and build your showreel. Where are you in Spain?

Alex Smart likes this.
  19. Alex Smart

Alex Smart Member

I live in Mallorca!

20. Mark Melville

Mark Melville Member

Che bello!!! Mi piace la Spagna.