/dist/images/branding/favicon

Vibration with Autotune

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Brice Munn, Sep 10, 2021.

1. Brice Munn

Brice Munn New Member

Hi,

Sorry I’m a real rooky with this and can’t figure an answer despite lots of searching and trail and error with the kit. Call me all the gear and no idea…

I’m yet to find a happy medium with auto tune. I have to have the tune stiffness set generally below 30% to have it not vibrate, but with stiffness that low the shots look pretty much handheld.

It’s a pretty beefy camera package with generally Red DSMC2, prime, follow focus, matte box. Suspended with an Easytilt with Easyrig stabil arm. I auto tune on this rig as I understand you’re supposed to tune it in situ.

The whole lot is within weight limit and balanced well though.

Is there something obvious you think I’m missing?

Side note, the horizon often drifts a bit dutch within the first 10 mins or so. I can’t figure out how to correct that either?

2. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

Auto tune has always been a rough guide. from there start manual tuning until you get the desired results required

3. Brice Munn

Brice Munn New Member

Thanks. Do you know a good resource for teaching how to manually tune/fine tune?

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I don't think there's anything beyond the videos on the FF web site, but the general rules, based on what others have observed, along with my own observations are:
    1. Always remember to hold the Movi as you're going to use it -- the act of holding it produces different resonant frequencies from those when it's on the stand (your hands/arms/body act as mass dampeners, I think). So don't rely on any settings made when it's on the stand -- they're unrealistic.
    2. Be patient and avoid increasing/decreasing any setting by a large amount -- the "sweet spot" is subtle and going up and down in large steps means that you're likely to overshoot the sweet spot -- and then falsely conclude that there is no sweet spot because you shot by it.

Hope that helps.
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

5. Brice Munn

Brice Munn New Member

Hi Andy.

Thanks for the tips - defiantly useful.

I'm still not nailing the setup, but getting a lot closer. I've found ramping up the hold strength helps - but so far if the autotune results in vibration I can't seem to manually tune that out. Must be missing something.