/dist/images/branding/favicon

How to Fix Pan in one direction

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Lael Camak, Apr 27, 2021.

1. Lael Camak

Lael Camak Member

I haven't done this in some time and forgot exactly how to do it.
    Doing a shoot this afternoon where I am doing a 360 around a product. We are using the MoVI controller to pan the camera 90 degrees from the normal straight ahead axis. How do I configure the controller to keep that pan position fixed? Right now, if I take my hands off the joystick, it corrects itself.
    I think the setting is in Heading Assist. Maybe "Fixed"?
    Unfortunately, my gear is all on a grip truck and I can't experiment until the shoot.

I know... I should know this like the back of my hand, but I rarely mess with these settings.

Thanks in advance.

lael

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Fixed Mount, yes, but that will have a bit of a window and smoothing to it that you can't adjust, so the camera will likely lag behind the motion of the dolly.

3. Graham Futerfas

I'm no great shakes with a joystick, but I've successfully back-panned a 360-degree move with Geared Inertia wheels, but it was a wider shot circling two actors on a spinning rig. I know Product shots can be trickier because of their small size.

I'm trying to imagine the shot you're doing. Are you handheld or on a dolly doing a 360-degree move? On a Movi Pro, you could set the Pan position by rotating the collar of the female toad in the hole and latching it where it points the lens at the subject. You could then leave the Movi in Majestic and your Window and Smoothing settings would apply (set Window to Zero). If you put the Movi in Tilt Lock, you should still have tilt control with the joystick, but you'd lose Pan. It might\should still point toward the inside of the dolly move.

4. Lael Camak

Lael Camak Member

Thanks Graham!
    Movi Pro will be hanging off a jib accessory on the Antigravitycam rig. Idea is to pan the camera 90 degrees toward the center product (a bike), and for me to may a slow 360 circle about 20' from the product. The shot can handle some slush in movement. I'm mainly just trying to turn off the re-center when you take your hands off the joystick. ...and I forget those settings.

5. Lael Camak

Lael Camak Member

I'm not en route to the shoot so I will try to check this later.

6. Graham Futerfas

I'm not sure how it responds to your little thumb joystick... is it in Dual Op when you use it? You can just loosen the toad in the hole, pan the toad so your lens points in to the middle of the circle, and re-latch it. That will keep your center point facing the bike. Then you can operate Majestically from there.

Or if it's dual op, this might also work with Fixed Mount, but I don't know if that's the best setting for it. There's also a Pan Offset in the General settings of the Movi, but re-latching the Toad where you want it kind of does the same thing.

7. Lael Camak

Lael Camak Member

Perhaps I was not clear earlier. Dual op. Using the movie controller. The joystick on that

8. Graham Futerfas

Then in Dual Op, the Movi won't re-pan to center when you release the joystick, but will hold its Pan position. Of course, you have to back-pan the entire 360 move on the joystick. You could try Fixed Mount but you'll still probably be fighting it a bit on the joystick because it's a large window and smoothing is applied.

9. Lael Camak

Lael Camak Member

Well, Ill find out shortly one way or another. Thx!!!

10. Lael Camak

Lael Camak Member

In Dual Op the Movi Controller would pan and stay fixed, until I rotated the gimbal around the fixed product. As I moved, the gimbal panned and the joystick had to compensate for added movement. I suppose that is what you meant by backlash. In the end today, I did follow your advice and rotate the MoVI 90 degress from its normal Toad in the hole setting. This did help, but we still had to back pan. Compass settings for Heading seemed to work the best.
    I have to do this same shot the next two days for the product in new locations. I may experiment some with Hold strength adjustments.
    OR, I may just mount the MoVI controller on a tripod and switch to Mimic and give that a valiant attempt. Thanks again for the help!

11. Lael Camak

Lael Camak Member

Just as a follow-up, Compass declination needed adjustment and control improved significantly. Thanks for the help Graham.