/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi M5 + Bmpcc4k

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Tobia Montanari Lughi, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Tobia Montanari Lughi

Hi everyone!
    Do you know if it's possibile to fit the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4k on the Movi m5?
    I'm scared I won't be able to fit the camera + all the cables / accessories, since the BM is pretty big.
    Thank you!

Roy Mills likes this.
  2. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

yes you should be able to do it

upload_2018-10-9_9-13-26.png

3. Tobia Montanari Lughi

Hi Jason, thank you for your answer!
    Unfortunately, the pic shows the Cinema Camera 4k and the Pocket Camera... not the Pocket Cinema Camera 4k (the new one) :(

4. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

whats the weight of the camera??

if it weighs around the 5lbs or 2.5kg mark you will be ok

5. Tobia Montanari Lughi

Nevermind, I tested it myself... It doesn't fit the Movi M5 cage. It's way too wide! :(

P.S. It fits the Movi M15 cage, but you cannot move it side to side... so you can't balance it.

6. Tanner

Tanner New Member

Correct, BMP4k with it's almost 18cm of wide is very picky when coming to gimbals. Good to have something with roll bar + camera plate based on tubes so it's easy to replace with longer ones.

7. sawaragi hirohisa

sawaragi hirohisa New Member

I think that there is no choice but to use a counterweight as a way to put it on M5.

John W Butler likes this.
  8. Jethro Bacolong

Jethro Bacolong New Member

isn't the with of the Movi M5 180mm? and the Blackmagic Pocket 4k is 178mm

9. Jethro Bacolong

Have you tried using it with counterweights?

Theres one guy who did it on Youtube.

Look at the comments between him and me

10. If you are unable to move the camera itself side-to-side for roll balance adjustment, the roll beam itself has a side-to-side adjustment, specifically for that purpose.

11. Jethro Bacolong

im watching this now. Roll balance, but I dont see how the M5 can do it

12. Only the M10 & M15 have the Roll beam adjustment.

13. Jethro Bacolong

exactly! Where can i buy weights?

14. John W Butler

John W Butler New Member

Try talking to a tire shop. They use adhesive weights. That'll do the trick. I knew the BMPCC4K would fit in the M5!

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Alternatively: adhesive lead weights used for balancing unmanned aircraft (or RC model aircraft):
    https://www.amazon.com/Great-Planes-Segmented-Weights-6-Ounce/dp/B0015KLJE0

Hope this helps,
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

16. Jeroen Damen

Jeroen Damen New Member

I have been puzzling also with this. But its very doable and stable. You need a 90 degree HDMI adapter, freefly lightweight hdmi cable and for example a 12mm slr magic mft lens. Im using it at T4, and have almost no need for focussing, which is quite nice in my case. I have also managed to fit a pdmovie motor live4 lightweight on it .. i am using a 25mm accessory mount to counter balance, at the right beam. I just vary the weight, by adding a hotshoe mount, and adding substracting rings etc.

Movi m5 + Pocket 4k.JPG

Darson Hall and Roy Mills like this.
  17. Robert Ruffo

Robert Ruffo Member

Get the Cinemilled Movi Plate. Must have for any M Movi

18. Corey Nuss

Corey Nuss New Member

I apologize for the super late response on here. I operated with an M5 and Pocket 6K for about a year before upgrading to the MoVI Pro. It took me a while to figure out how to balance with my 6K, but it DOES work. Below was my build for balancing the M5 with the Pocket 6K

BMPCC 6K
    Tilta Full Cage
    Baseplate
    Sigma 18-35
    Tilta Nucles M Focus & Zoom
    Tiffen VND
    128GB CFast 2.0

*NOTE*

I did modify my M5 to make it easier to balance and operate with the above camera package (not necessary).

- Replace the 15mm rods to allow me to use my baseplate with the cage
    - Swap out the 25mm carbon rods that connect roll arm to tilt, which allowed me to have a bit more clearance between camera and roll arm.
    - Replaced the 25mm aluminum rod that connects off the pan motor since I extended the roll --> tilt motor arms.

Either way, I was able to make it work with the camera build I listed, but the biggest challenge is getting enough weight in FRONT of the tilt motor since you can't slide the camera through the MoVI cage.

DM MoVI M5.jpg MoVI M5 2.JPG MoVI M5.jpg

andrey ivanyuk likes this.
  19. andrey ivanyuk

andrey ivanyuk New Member

How long is your 25mm rods and as far as 15mm which one did u change the side rods or top/bottom rods I like to add my tilta quick release plate so I can add my Nano focus

20. Corey Nuss

Corey Nuss New Member

Hello!

Unfortunately, I not longer own this as I upgraded to the MoVI Pro. However, I do have links to the carbon rods I purchased a while back. It looks like the 15mm rods were 12" (I did not have to cut those). I did have to cut the 25mm rods, but I can't remember how long they needed to be in order for me to run the camera and have my HDMI cable clear. I suggest cutting to the size you think you'll need based on your setup.

For cutting carbon fiber rods, I suggest wrapping them with blue painters tape and using a fine bladed hand saw to cut the rods without them splintering at the ends. Then just use the same caps that come on the standard sized ones for a clean finish!

For the 25mm rod that connects to the pan motor, I suggest using the leftover piece you cut, then balance the gimbal so you get a rough idea for how long that one needs to be. As I'm sure you know, the farther the camera is from the roll motor, the longer the rod needs to be for the pan axis to be balanced.

Sorry if this was too much!

15mm Rods
    25mm Rods