/dist/images/branding/favicon

Tuning Movi Pro Under Alta X

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Rob Weidner, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Rob Weidner

Rob Weidner New Member

I've tuned many of gimbals for years now and have extensive experience with getting great tuning results both manually and with AutoTune while under the Alta 8. Now that I am using the Alta X more, I haven't been able to get the gimbal to perform and hold a perfectly steady frame, especially, when the aircraft is stationary in the air. When the aircraft is moving, the gimbal seems to perform better, but when stationary, the gimbal visually appears to be very "floaty". I've spent days trying to tune it out in the air, as well as on the ground, and haven't been super pleased with the final result. Main camera package I was using is Alexa Mini LF with Orion Atlas lenses. (yes maybe overweight, but let's move past that).

2. Marcus Möller

Marcus Möller New Member

I have the same problem on my Alta X. I'm using the Red Gemini and Canon cinema primes. Not overweight.
    The roll is also doing some weird stuff. like every 3 seconds it twitches.

3. Victor Lee

Victor Lee New Member

I had the same problem on the X. Propwash?

4. Robin Opgård

Robin Opgård New Member

We have been flying Mini LF with Master Anamorphic for a few weeks now, with good results. We are using Maniac Mode on our Movi, so that may help?

5. Ben Ellingson

Ben Ellingson New Member

Have you figured it out? I've been avoiding my Alta X due to these issues. Problem is; most setups I fly now are too heavy for Alta 8. The X would be so nice but I'm unable to keep the Movi Pro from floating all over the place. Pan oscillations are an issue too. :-/ Seems the isolator just isn't isolating and or the prop wash is shaking things up...

6. Stefano Munar

Stefano Munar New Member

After many tests and adjustments, I think the problem is the amount of air that generates the propellers and that directly affects the Movi Pro. I have put the same camera setup on Alta 8 and it looks so fluid...

Maybe the solution is a new Movi Pro with better aerodynamic design.

Attached Files:

7. Rob Weidner

Rob Weidner New Member

I just did 10 straight weeks on a feature in the Saudi Arabian desert of flying the Alta X, Movi Pro, Alexa mini LF, Arri signature primes (18, 25, 35, 50, 75), 2x Teradek RT motors, mdrx, vaxis TX, bright tangerine misfit atom, 1-2 filters. Not the heaviest build I have ever worked with, but no counterweights, although I did have the ignite Digi tilt offsets as well as their accessory mounts, which was key. Here’s what I was able to determine:

I just did 10 straight weeks on a feature in the Saudi Arabian desert of flying the Alta X, Movi Pro, Alexa mini LF, Arri signature primes (18, 25, 35, 50, 75), 2x Teradek RT motors, mdrx, vaxis TX, bright tangerine misfit atom, 1-2 filters. Not the heaviest build I have ever worked with, but no counterweights, although I did have the ignite Digi tilt offsets as well as their accessory mounts, which was key. Here’s what I was able to determine:

1. the margin for error for tuning and balance was very slim. I frequently was retuning and balancing depending on what the shot was: ie fast and tilted forward or slow job down and tilted down etc.
    2. the ignite tilt offsets lock off seemed to slim from time to time, potentially due to the rough desert 4x4 terrain driving from location to location. I basically was checking all of my axis before every setup, which I usually set and forget, trusting everything will stay in place.
    3. the roll axis is naturally bottom heavy, and I also have SMA extenders so I can mount the TX antennas off the roll arms to avoid carbon shading for better reception. The prop wash from the X is significant and undeniable so especially if you have a large lens, you’ll need to be especially thoughtful with your tuning. Only solution here I could think of is counterweights on the top of the roll axis, but I never tried this.
    4. I operate on an FrSky Xlite Pro controller, but whenever we went to the 75mm I always had the movi controller close so I could make micro adjustments to hold stiffnesses, filters, and strengths. This was a pain, but I was able to make tweaks in the air while the gimbal was getting thrashed, and I might have saved 1-2 shots having control while in the air. My problem here is that not all of the tuning settings are on one page on the movi controller, so I had to navigate the cumbersome controller menu, while making tuning adjustments, while operating on a 75mm, while trying to pretend like everything was under control… not ideal. Would be great to be able to make your own user menu on the controller so I could see motor outputs, and have whatever adjustments I needed on one page.
    5. when auto tuning, I always bring all my values down to 100 on stiffness and filter to 1 for each axis. Recheck every axis including the pan axis, and orientate the gimbal how it will be positioned for the shot. Specifically if I know I will be doing a 90-degree tilt down, I try and tune before the shot, on the ground, which isn’t always possible when time is of the essence and creatives don’t want to hear “I just need to come down and land and take off again, should be 5 minutes”.
    6. the XM2 retractable landing gear for the Alta X is a game changer and significantly helps improve the movi pro’s aerodynamics and noticeably reduces drag and improves the gimbals performance. From a landing perspective, the legs have far more surface area which make for more confident landings and reduce the risk of the entire payload tipping over when landing, which I know has happened to many people using the Freefly Movi Pro landing legs.
    7. Always fly with maniac mode on under the Alta X.
    8. Don’t adjust the hold strengths more than +-10 from the blackjack default of 30. Causes more pain than trouble, but I could be proved wrong here.
    9. When using retractable landing gear, use the “handheld” mode instead of “airborne”. I found a slight improvement in roll drift.
    10. Speaking of roll drift, this is one of the main reasons why I opt for operating with an sbus controller instead of the movi controller. I find it easier to set my left joystick left right axis to be roll rate and activate it with a 2-position switch on my controller. I find it difficult to use the zoom rocker on the movi controller and the direction of the rocker only works 1 way and when you try and invert the rocker, it simply just doesn’t work.
    I could continue with more feedback but that is a good start in regards to the movi pro under the Alta X. My opinion, the movi pro is underpowered when matched with the Alta X. I have heard that people have had better results using the Ronin under the X, but I find that the gremlins hidden inside any DJI product, are far worse to troubleshoot than Freefly’s and for that reason, I have only ever owned Freefly products in my life. Wishing and hoping for new hardware and firmware for Christmas this year and if anyone ever wants to discuss this, feel free to reach out directly or continue this forum post.

8. Ben Ellingson

Ben Ellingson New Member

I agree… in the mean time, I’ve ordered the XM2 retracts. I’ll let ya know what I find…

9. Stefano Munar

Stefano Munar New Member

Thanks for the tips. I also have a retractable landing gear from the guys at XM2LAB and it has helped a lot. I've been fighting Alta x and Movi Pro since August, Alta 8 has always been pretty good. It’s also true that we have had very good days with Alta X (extremely stable), and the next day a total disaster .

Thanks!

Jannick Saunus likes this.
  10. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Biggest thing i've found to help with stabilization is NOT having any type of matte box on the front of bigger lenses. This just catches the wind from the props and causes issues.

I am looking into the retracts as well now BUT am thinking of trying out a much simpler solution by tying the 3 legs of the MoVI Pro together (obviously not between the front two) to see if this helps stiffen them up a bit. Probably won't do much but I have a new 3D printer and some extra carbon tubes laying around so might as well give it a go! HA

Good info on maniac mode btw! I'll need to turn that on.

Josh