/dist/images/branding/favicon

Using MP on a Jib

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Jake Wilganowski, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Jake Wilganowski

I do a lot of remote head jib work with a varizoom head. I'm very good at it. I operate with a little joystick controller for pan/tilt which also have speed/sensitivity adjustments. I recently attached the Movi Pro to the jib in place of the remote head. I have an Aerialpixels thumb controller that controls it in this mode, very similar feel to the PS4 control knob. Here's the issue, all my skill with a remote head, years of muscle memory don't work with the way the MP functions on a jib arm. In a normal remote head, the pan and tilt direction are locked unless you move the motor. The pan direction in relation to the jib arm as it swings does not move unless you move it with the the joystick. With the Movi Pro since the axis where the pan is attached to the arm is free to move (toad in the hole) this makes controlling the movi COMPLETELY DIFFERENT and it is driving me absolutey crazy. Anyone else have any input? I would LOVE for this to replace my remote head but it is basically like starting from 0 as far as nuance and muscle memory and feeling how the camera responds with the arm swinging.

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Try changing heading assist to fixed mount. Maybe that will help.

3. Jake Wilganowski

Thanks I will try this

4. Jake Wilganowski

Seems to work well but there is a bit of pan drift. I've been practicing it in normal mode and am getting used to it after experimenting with settings.

5. Graham Futerfas

I haven't really tested this, so could be wrong, but you might be able to adjust the Pan Window and Smoothing settings when you're in Fixed Mount. By reducing the window, it might be more responsive.

6. Jake Wilganowski

Ok after playing with the settings I have it working great! Awesome!

7. Graham Futerfas

What settings did you find helped you? Would love to hear more about it.

jim mundell likes this.
  8. Samer Aslan

Samer Aslan New Member

Yeh, I would love to hear more too about it ;) do you have any picture or better a video test!? Thanks Jake,and of course Graham for your big contribution for this great forum;)

9. Peyton Penuel

Peyton Penuel New Member

Are you still using the MP on the jib? I have a friend selling a 21ft jib without a head and have been brainstorming how I could pull this off as well. Did you have someone make a custom length cable for the thumb controller? My thoughts are adding either the Redrock Micro or the AP version with the Tilta Nucleus handle set on the operator end instead of buying the head that belongs on the jib. How has your experience been with the thumb controller after these years?

10. Robert Ruffo

Robert Ruffo Member

A PS4 controller works wonders - and you can attach it wherever with cheap accessories from Amazon). But really another op with a mimic will get by far best results (if you have another Op available)