/dist/images/branding/favicon

ALTA 8 FPV signal problem

Discussion in 'ALTA 8' started by Taki Darendeli, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Foxeer also makes some pretty nice FPV cameras. The only concern with these antenna is that they are apparently 150mm / 6 inches long -- that's pretty long compared to some of the others -- doesn't matter for the ground station, of course, but on the ALTA....might that be an issue? I don't have access to my ALTA 8 right now to see whether there's going to be an issue with rotor blades... (With a Cinestar I already have one rotor "self-adjust" on a 1.3 Ghz cloverleaf antenna. It's quite dramatic. The antenna lost.)

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

2. Rick Gerard

Rick Gerard Active Member

I just put a little S shaped band in the antenna. If I am flying high I will bend it around and stick it out below the booms. I love the extra length.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Ha! I had visions of you tying a knot in it, Rick. :)

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

4. PJ Mozingo

PJ Mozingo Member

I am currently switching my FPV over to 1.3GHz (longer range). That will leave the Movi Controller to 2.4GHz and my camera video setup to 5.8GHz. Spreading out all the frequencies to avoid cross contamination. Is there any reason I shouldn’t do this?

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi PJ:

As long as you maintain good physical separation between the various antennas, that, as we say in the software business, "should work." :)
    There really is only one way to know for certain, I'm afraid, and that is to try it.

Based on the wisdom that People Who Know About This have said to me, if the antennas are too close, it doesn't matter what frequency they're transmitting on -- there's enough "splatter" across the frequencies that you'll get some kind of interference...

Hope that helps
    Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

6. PJ Mozingo

PJ Mozingo Member

Hey, Andy! Thanks for your response, that definitely makes sense. I'm currently waiting for my 1.3GHz receiver to ship and I'll run some tests and let everyone know.

There are plenty of Alta pilots who have run all these tests before I'm sure, but just don't participate in these forums...which is a huge loss to the community. As time goes on and the Alta 6/8 slips quietly into the night of old technology...these forums will be the only testaments to knowledge on certain subjects or issues.