/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi with Graupner PPM

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Michael Braun, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Michael Braun

Michael Braun Member

I am reading that there is an option to use Graupner radio, but I can't find any info or tutorial on that.

2. Michael Braun

Michael Braun Member

I've managed to link all the channels, only shutter remains mystery. I have GenLED shutter for RED epic and another one for Lumix wihich I would like to use.

3. Arthur Vieira

Arthur Vieira Flight Squad

Michael,
    You probably programmed the receiver as PPM and connected it to the MoVI on a specific output channel (on the Graupner GR24 should be on the 8ch connector)
    The other connectors on the Graupner RX are still operational and the gentled should be connected to one of them. You need to assign a switch on the Transmiter to a channel that's not in use by the MoVI, let's say channel 9. Connect the gentled to this channel connector e it should work.
    If you still have any dificulty please let me know and I'll make a step by step tutorial.
    I use a MZ24 with GR24 receiver on both M10 and M5 with a servo for zoom and a Canon Gentled for shutter without a problem.

Good luck.

4. Michael Braun

Michael Braun Member

Hi Arthur,

thanks it worked in first try!

Cheers

5. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

Hi Arthur. Using a Graupner radio and receiver, are you able to get typical RC control distance for your camera operator? I have the Movi Controller and a Spectrum radio that uses only the single satellite connection and find both set ups falling short for control range of the Movi. I was just about to consider switching to some of my Graupner equipment and try that.

Thanks!

6. Arthur Vieira

Hi Michael,
    I've been using both Graupner and Spektrum Radios for some years now and for fact the Spektrum has a much better range than the Graupner, the problem is the antenna on the sattelites beeing too short
    I do have a little better range on the MoVI with the Graupner because the RX antennas are longer and they can be positioned far from the MoVI but I don't know if the Graupner works with the FF controller (I don't have it).
    But....
    There are 2 ways to improve the Spektrum range.
    1 - Get a longer Satellite cable and install the RX in a way that the antennas are out of the frame.
    2 - The one I'm going to do.. Get the Spektrum Satellite Diversity Controller, I bought mine at quadrocopter.com but I just searched on their website and I wasn't able to find it, but you can find it here: http://www.nghobbies.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=718#.VQ8W8UbA1w0 . I use this with 2 satellites on my Cinestar (for flying) for more than 2 years and I've lost the signal on the gimbal many times (Graupner) but the flying signal was strong and reliable. What I'm planning to do is to install this on the MoVI and install 2 satellites, one on each roll boom. The tricky part is that it uses 5v and the satellites (as the satellite connector on the MoVI) uses 3v. So a special cable must be build to get +5v and - from the Sbus connector on the MoVI and the signal from the Spektrum connector. With this you could install up to 4 satellites on the MoVI.

Good luck.

7. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

We tried this today and had quite good luck with it. We only flew out to 4-500 meters, but that was a good test and we had perfect Movi control in all gimbal positions. I think the rabbit ear thing for the antennas helped.

Previously we had used a single satellite receiver and placed it on the bottom of the camera tray on the M5 and had varied success with that. Multiple satellites would certainly help.

Thanks for the tips.

IMG_1835.jpg

8. Gary McCready

Gary McCready Active Member

With Graupner you can bind two receivers. I think this is much better than using those Spectrum satellites, with their tiny antennas. I'm sure the Graupner has the same or better range than Spectrum. I've switch over from Spectrum and have had fewer problems.

9. Arthur Vieira

Gary, how do you connect 2 Graupners RX to the MoVI?

10. Gary McCready

Gary McCready Active Member

I don't have a Movi, so I don't know what signal it need, You can just use your Grupner Tx to bind two Recievers (not connected physically), and last is the "Master" (does telemetry). You can also connect one with SUMO (PPM out) to another SUMI ( PPM in), and daisy chain them. I don't really think you would need it though, range tests I've done are more than enough for the distances I fly.

11. Arthur Vieira

Gary, Thanks for the tip. I did know about the binding 2 but didn't know about the SumI and SumO. I tought the 2 RX should be operated independently. With the MoVI I would guess is a matter of connecting the RX2 SumO to RX1 SumI and the RX1 SumO to the MoVI.
    I'll test this in a few days and post the results here.

12. Taki Darendeli

Taki Darendeli New Member

Dear friends, I need to connect the Movi M10 to the GR-24 receiver and mx-20 remote. I don't have a connection cable for Movi and GR-24. Where can I find this cable?

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

14. Taki Darendeli

Taki Darendeli New Member

Thanks Andy