/dist/images/branding/favicon

How about active tracking & zoom option

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Frank Algermissen, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Frank Algermissen

Frank Algermissen Active Member

I know Freefly is at the really beginning of their iOS App. Nevertheless I am missing two functions:

• active tracking
    • zoom option

Especially the first one would help a lot to keep the subject in focus. And "zoom" can also be simply switching the two lenses (1x, 2x) of the iPhone.

What's your opinion?

2. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Active tracking is on the roadmap for sure, zoom is more of a question mark at this time since the iphone lens OIS on the iPhone 8 and X make it less useful.

Thanks for the feedback!

Frank Algermissen likes this.
  3. Frank Algermissen

Frank Algermissen Active Member

Hi Tabb,

great to hear that active tracking is on your roadmap. Hopefully not the last point of your backlog ;-)

Van you explain the problem why zoom and iPhone OIS make it less usefull, plz? Just to understand.

Cheers,

Frank

4. Joe Azzarelli

Joe Azzarelli Active Member

Tabb - The ability to zoom or at least be able to use the 2x lens would be useful. At least you should be able to set the default Majestic options and then use another app. Fast response and narrow window would have been useful yesterday. See this comparison. Using the Movi app the jet is a little dot. Using the camera app I was able to get closer but the standard Majestic lag was challenging to keep things centered. Tracking would not be helpful without the ability to zoom.

Joe

Frank Algermissen likes this.
  5. Bryan Edmonds

Bryan Edmonds Chief Mōvi Whisperer

You can do this. Just open the Movi app, set up your Windows and Response, Tilt/Roll Lock, then switch to whatever capture app you want. You'll just have to start/stop recording on screen, instead of with the Rec trigger on Movi.

6. Pär Westerlind

Pär Westerlind New Member

Any news on active tracking?

Eric Aerts likes this.
  7. Eric Aerts

Eric Aerts New Member

Hi guys, anything new for the cinematic robot, haven‘t heard from you for a long time, is this product and its development dead?

8. Pär Westerlind

Pär Westerlind New Member

Hi, thanks Eric for bringing the question up! FreeFly has gone into total radio silence ;)

Eric Aerts likes this.
  9. Eric Aerts

Eric Aerts New Member

Hi Pär, I don‘t know if they will answer, I guess they stopped with the development and updates. I have paid €300... Hopefully Tabb will give us more detailed information

10. Greg Killmaster

I got these replies from Bryan at Freefly after asking about tracking and saying how the DJI Osmo Mobile has had this feature and asking if it will ever be implemented.

"We've looked at the object tracking thing on and off over the years and never came up with anything that was really functional in application. At this point I would be very surprised if we released it as a feature for the Cinema Robot.

Phone AI systems just aren't as good at framing shots as even the most novice operator, and automated framing was never really what we thought of when we built the Movi. Maybe when technology catches up to humans a bit more, it will be something we can build and be proud of."

"We were going to do it originally. We built several prototypes of it and worked about as well as anything else we had experienced in the market at the time: barely. The primary application for it would be if you wanted to set the Movi down and pace back and forth in front of it, and only if it had a clear view of your face. Any complexity beyond that would baffle the AI and ruin the shot. And again, we're coming at this from the filmmaking side of things, so maybe our standards are too high?

Based on our experiences with it, development efforts were put toward active filmmaking instead of passive, for smooth dynamic movements instead of robotic automatic tracking.

Limitations
    The limitation isn't really on our side in this case, it's what the phones are capable of right now. Hardware and OS restrictions can be beaten in some cases by massive development efforts, but the inclusion of tech like LiDAR in new phones will probably vasty increase what is possible on this front.

And as much as I'd like to think that just because DJI can build something, we can, too, that's simply not the case. This is something we hear a lot! Quick snapshot:

• Our company is comprised of less than 40 people, all together, including marketing, engineering, support and ownership team.
    • According to the internet, DJI had 14,000 employees in 2018.
    Not exactly a fair comparison of resources.

If you have a specific use case for the phone following you, I think you can still get an Osmo 3 for $120 for that application. You just probably won't like using it for active movement as much as you like the Movi. Right tool for the job, as I always say!"

"We've looked at the object tracking thing on and off over the years and never came up with anything that was really functional in application. At this point I would be very surprised if we released it as a feature for the Cinema Robot.

Phone AI systems just aren't as good at framing shots as even the most novice operator, and automated framing was never really what we thought of when we built the Movi. Maybe when technology catches up to humans a bit more, it will be something we can build and be proud of."

11. Steven Chu

Steven Chu New Member

Greg that update is really useful - thanks for sharing their reply. So basically, no we should not expect to see active tracking- that feature on the wishlist is being sunsetted aka won’t see the light of day.

12. Greg Killmaster

Hi Steven, I think that is fair to assume! Not sure why I waited for so long hoping. I do wish there was a more thorough response from Freefly on this forum. It's been very frustrating.

13. CJ Adams

CJ Adams New Member

Do we know if they have stopped all development on this product?