/dist/images/branding/favicon

Readyrig Vega vs Easyrig G2

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Fisch Rasy, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Fisch Rasy

Fisch Rasy New Member

Hey team,

After another 6hr movi shoot without a support rig it's painfully obvious we need one.

I've been reading the reviews previous about readyrig, easyrig & tilta... but since, all 3 have brought out new products.

Ideally I'm looking to decide between readyrig vega and easyrig g2. Both seem super solid and both seem to take a heap of the walking motion out. Easyrig does seem more suitable for handheld and readyrig for gimbles... but to be honest they both seem like they would fine.

Major advantage with readyrig is the booming factor and disadvantage is the pan, while easyrig seems to have nailed y-axis vibration from walking with the G2

Ok, but has anyone actually tested either?!?!?!?!?!? Because I've got mates with older gens, and I can't find any solid reviews on any of the latest gear and it's been out since 2019.

So recommendations would be highly appreciated Thanks heaps in advance!!

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how many responses you'll get here, but there are some good groups on Facebook where you might have more luck.

I have owned a Ready Rig since 2015 when I owned a Movi M15, and have a lot of seat-time in that vest over they years. Since buying it, I've upgraded to the Pro Arms and the Vega the moment they were released. I love it, it's a simple, light vest and I can wear it for long hours and still operate the gimbal. It fits through narrow passages, and does a decent job removing footsteps.

Is it perfect? No. Doing a perfectly straight push-in will show some side to side wobble.

It's fast to work with and set up -- faster than most vests I've seen, and it's lighter, too. I have the Spindles, which are an important tool to get the most out of your Ready Rig. It's a very versatile vest.

Panning isn't a problem -- I can usually pivot my body to do that. If it's a side-tracking shot, I usually pre-pan the gimbal to the side a bit (by loosening the Toad in the Hole and turning it so it lines the gimbal up where I want it). This is so I can walk forward instead of side-stepping.

I've tried an earlier version of the Easy Rig with the Serene, and I wasn't comfortable with the single-point of contact. Some people do like it though. I also didn't like that it made me 7' tall with that thing over my head, and you'll probably have to invert the gimbal if you want to get to eye-level-height.

I don't want to knock the Easy Rig -- I know people who like it. I also know people who like Armorman, Slingshot, and Antigravity. Personally, I'm looking forward to trying out the Flowcine Gimbal-Link that's supposedly coming out soon, since I saw some great stabilization tests with it. It looks complicated and time consuming to set up, but we'll see. It will cost way more than the Ready Rig, too, but I operate gimbals a lot, so it would be worth it if it can offer that last few points of stabilization.

The Ready Rig is a fantastic product with excellent customer service. If you're near Los Angeles, you're welcome to come by and try mine out sometime.

If you're not sure about the Vega upgrade, my suggestion is to get it if you find yourself operating more than 1-2 days a month. If you don't operate that much, it may not be worth the extra money. I used the original bands for years and they were very good too.

3. Fisch Rasy

Fisch Rasy New Member

Thanks heaps Graham, like usual, amazing personal insight

Ready rig seems a pretty logical choice. We're on Red and now all the wireless video and follow focus... things getting heavy.

We do shoot plenty of handheld, but readyrig can probably do that too.

The biggest setback from planning gimble into our shotlist is the physical drain it takes on the team... which isn't what we want... we wanna feel stoked to use it

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  4. Graham Futerfas

You can actually use the Ready Rig as a straight handheld support by attaching the leashes to the top of the camera. Usually you just use one of the arms for this.

On multiple occasions, I have had to operate some very long takes -- up to 100+ minutes of wearing the Ready Rig and gimbal without a break, and some of those times, the camera build was very heavy. Obviously couldn't do it without the vest. I've also had to shoot at some large events where I couldn't just keep putting the gimbal down all the time because we were far away from our main base.

I usually don't even put the gimbal down between takes, just reset and go again, or sometimes I can sit on an apple box and rest the gimbal on my knees for a minute if we're away from my dock. There are sometimes shots that are better done without wearing a vest, but for 95% of my handheld gimbal work, the Ready Rig is an excellent tool.

5. Fisch Rasy

Fisch Rasy New Member

Thanks Graham, seems like the solution we're looking for

Would love to hear if anyone's used an Easyrig G2 but the Readyrig will probably win out in the end.

6. Chad Shillady

Chad Shillady New Member

I have the Ready Rig Vega. I have a Red Helium with titla motors and a Zeiss 15mm CP3 attached. I just shot a video yesterday and noticed a lot of roll issues. What are your Pan/Tilt/roll stiffness and filters set at on yours? If you don’t mind me asking. I’m trying to get buttery smooth footage.

Thanks,
    Chad

7. Graham Futerfas

Roll issues?

The Movi's number one job is to hold a level horizon. First, make sure in your Majestic Settings that Roll is set to Level and not Majestic. I like to set my Pan and Tilt Windows to 2 or 3, and Smoothness to 12. Everyone develops their own preferences with regard to window and smoothness, though.

With a camera package that size and running handheld, your Motor Stiffness could be OK around 75-100, Filters around 4. Feel free to post screenshots of all your settings if you want us to take a look.

8. Chad Shillady

Chad Shillady New Member

So I took a look at my stiffness setting and somehow they were set it the 20-30’s so I did an auto tune with my motors and everything attached and ended up being in the 170’s but backed off on stiffness on all 3 axis a little and that seems to have resolved all those issues. But I am going to look into setting my smoothness to what you suggested I’m seeing a lot of motion blur when panning and I’d like to clear that up next. Smoothness sounds like it might help with that issue. Appreciate your help and input!!!

Chad