/dist/images/branding/favicon

Bizarre MoVi Failure Waking From Sleep

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Ryan Hamelin, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Ryan Hamelin

Ryan Hamelin Member

Hey guys!

A few months ago (back before the world ended) we started noticing strange behavior of our MoVi Pro on set. When coming out of sleep, the whole MoVi would stay limp, and the buttons/screen on the back would freeze. Even attempting to power down the rig via the button didn't work, I had to pull the batteries off entirely. (I'll attempt to attach the video of the issue I made at the time to this thread). After putting the batteries back on and booting up, the rig performed as normal until it was put to sleep again which would start the cycle over again.

At the time, the best guess we could find was that the issue was a corruption of the microsd card, and by ejecting the card, we seemed to be relatively stable for the rest of the week.

This brings us to last week when we got the rig out of mothballs to due a small covid-safe shoot. During the checkout/testing we noticed that the issue coming out of sleep had returned, but this time we didn't have full freeze lockup of the UI, just errors galore in the app. (I've attached the error screen to this thread as well). It seemed like I got it stable again by inserting a new clean microsd card, and we chalked it up to a mild glitch.

On set, things got rough. The rig would go limp with the error strewn screen with some regularity, and often I could get it to fail by aggressive majestic tilting (it was a solo-op job so majestic all around) and every time I'd tilt up on the basketball court the whole rig would go limp and I'd have to power cycle it.

Anyone else ever deal with this type of issue? Definitely starting to think it's not a microSD card problem, but maybe someone from support can weigh in.

IMG_8975.png
    IMG_8974.png

2. Ryan Hamelin

Ryan Hamelin Member

It wouldn't let me upload the video file to the thread (even though I tried compressing it down smaller than the 9mb supposed file limit) so here's a vimeo link.

3. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi Ryan, you should email support all this info, and I imagine they'll have you send it in.

I would have said check the Micro SD, but sounds like you did that. Could be a loose cable somewhere, maybe? You can remove the motor caps and check if those cables are snug and seated properly.

Did you install the Tilt Offsets from Ignite Digi? Maybe something came loose underneath on the Tilt Stage? Be careful about shorts down there, which can be a problem, I've heard.

What is the condition of your little Flipper cable at the Roll beam? Any wear and tear on it? I had to have mine replaced after a while, which they did as part of the Movi Checkup. If you've had your Movi out a lot, I recommend sending it in for a checkup, although it does take about 4 weeks round-trip to Freefly.