/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi won't stop vibrating. It's getting worse.

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Charles E Proulx Jr, May 11, 2020.

1. Charles E Proulx Jr

Charles E Proulx Jr New Member

I'm using an I phone 8 without a case. Have used the same set up for a year and a half sporadically ( the Movi doesn't have many hours on it and shouldn't be worn out yet) I'm a musician and two months ago got a mild but high speed vibration. I posted about it here. Suggested that I adjust in the software. But I have no idea how or where. Searches here turn up nothing, there is no chat and no manual and nothing on you tube. So I just tried on my own to shoot a music video. Now the vibration is violent.

Please help. I don't know where to begin. I've played music for 50 years and shot and edited video for 12 years, but I'm stumped

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Charles:
    I infer that you've already got the Movi/phone balanced to the point that, with the Movi powered off, the phone will stay in any position in which you put it?

If that's the case the vibration is caused by the tuning of the phone being too high -- so it starts to oscillate.
    You use the Movi iPhone app to adjust the tuning -- see FAQ #22 here: https://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/movi-cinema-robot-faq.12225/ (hint: Robot -> Main Settings -> Tuning).

Can you check that you have "Regular" set? If it's set, then try "Low," and let us know what happens.
    Hope this helps
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. Charles E Proulx Jr

Yes I balance the phone first. And it's on a tripod. I've used this set up many times without a problem. I didn't change any settings on purpose. I'll give this a go and get back to you. Thank you.

4. Charles E Proulx Jr

2 issues.

1. I can't connect the phone and the movi before setting because it vibrates wildly.
    2. I'm having difficulty navigating within the app.

to wit: when I bring up Robot I see the camera symbol Majesting Tuning. But I can't "open" the settings. Touching the word settings does nothing and there are no other options that I can see.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hmmm. As you say, something somewhere has changed. I suspect you need to open up a ticket with Freefly Support and the best way of doing that is to head over to https://freeflysystems.com/contact

That said, when their workload permits, I do know that Freefly technical support will occasionally review some of the threads on the forum, but opening up a ticket really is the optimal way to get support.
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

6. Charles E Proulx Jr

Yeah Andy -- and to clarify my reasoning -- it vibrated so badly yesterday that I fear it will damage itself. So I shut it down as quickly as I could and don't want to make the situation worse.

Kathy Ward likes this.
  7. Charles E Proulx Jr

I just requested a ticket. Told them about our conversation so perhaps they'll read this. Thanks

8. Kathy Ward

Kathy Ward New Member

I had the same exact problem yesterday. I shut it down and restarted, tried to redownload the software too but it would not help. It was vibrating and jerking back and forth crazy!! So I was checking out the forum to see if anyone else had the same problem. This is from May so wondering if you got a solution Charles? I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max, with Moment lens and case.

#8 Kathy Ward, Jun 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  9. Charles E Proulx Jr

Hi Kathy We did sort this out. Let me go into my e mails with support. I'll cut and paste exactly what they told me to do and get back

Kathy Ward likes this.
  10. Charles E Proulx Jr

Here's some of the instructions. Luckily it was simple but I learned a few thing, for instance when they first told me to change the setting I tried it while the camera was shaking and couldn't do anything. SO PUT IT TO SLEEP. Seems obvious now. They explained that sleep mode just turns off the motors. So then I went into the menu and changed the "tuning" settings an it worked. So out of curiosity I tried the other two settings and they worked too???? I'm no tech expert but something changed itself in the software on it's own and some how reset when I changed the setting. I had used my setup many times so I had a clue how to balance things. I don't have moment lenses but If you've used them before I'd have to guess that you have the same glitch I had. Let me know and I'll dig out more e mails. But I think this is the one that got me on track

Bryan
    (Freefly Systems)

May 13, 2020, 5:10:17 PM PDT

Charles,
    Thank you for contacting Freefly Support! There are two main contributors to shaking on the Movi Cinema Robot, but first you should know that it can't hurt itself, or your phone, by shaking.

The first thing to check is your balance. The clamp that holds your phone in place allows the phone to slide left and right, so that it can hold its position when not powered or held in your hand. See this quick video on balance to help get that nailed down.

If you've got your phone well balanced on roll and it is still shaking, your Movi is a little over zealous on motor output and could use being tuned down a bit.

• In the settings>Robot>Main Settings>Tuning> Try Low (or regular if you are using a Plus, Max, + or otherwise large phone).
    • If that doesn't do the trick, we'll try Custom Tuning.
      • You'll see Custom Tuning in the menu (just below the tuning presets). Tap the arrow next to it to get into the menu
      • Set the Autotune slider to 25
      • Set the Movi down on a stable surface (like a table), and tap the arrow next to Autotune Start (right side of the screen)
      • It will make some noise and dance around a bit (this is normal and intentional and will not hurt your phone).
    • After it finishes, pick up the Movi and move it around, see how it feels.
    If it's still shaking, let us know!

Kathy Ward likes this.
  11. Kathy Ward

Kathy Ward New Member

Wala - the changing the tuning to "Plus" worked! I had it in sleep mode, because otherwise it was making a horrible noise and shaking. Then switched to plus in tuning. And now all is good! Thank you Charles!!

12. Charles E Proulx Jr

Kathy -- I'm so glad it worked. Pretty funny too -- because I'm always on the receiving end of tech advice. Take care