/dist/images/branding/favicon

Gimbal shakes if I hold it in the handle

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Leif Andreas Oberg, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Leif Andreas Oberg

Leif Andreas Oberg New Member

When I hold the gimbal in the top handle it begins to vibrate and shake. Is that expected behaviour or have I done something wrong. If I hold the ring with both hands it works fine.
    We just filmed penguins and I would have the gimbal just 1 inch off the ground, this made it HARD to hold on to the ring.

Cheers,
    Andreas

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Your motors are set too stiff. If you reduce stiffness and/or increase filter, it will get rid of this shaking.

3. Leif Andreas Oberg

Ok, thanks Graham I will check it out.
    Was our first shot so lots of things to figure out. Still got some great shots and had a lot of fun.
    Btw anyone has any tips for how to film very close to the ground. I had to bend my back to do it which was NOT comfortable. Could I hold it in a rope or something? Or extend the handle maybe.

4. Graham Futerfas

Here's a photo of me using the Classic Handles with extension handles from Walter Klassen and a Ready Rig vest. These days, I'd probably just do it with a Cinemilled Pro Ring system, but it's the same concept. The vest takes a lot of the weight, but it will still strain your lower back muscles when you have the gimbal that low.

IMG_1498.jpg

Simon Maignan likes this.
  5. Leif Andreas Oberg

Wow, that is a really low shot. Can you walk and have steady shots with this setup? Nice idea to take off the ring for shots like this. I have been looking at the Gimbal LInk system that is soon to arrive, not sure it can go that low though, but seems really nice otherwise.

6. Graham Futerfas

You can get very stable footage this way, although controlling Tilt can be a little more tricky. I have the new Vega system on my Ready Rig, which really helps in this kind of low mode with the bands fully stretched.

A lot of people are looking forward to trying out Gimbal Link, myself included, but I find there's a lot of hype around it even though I don't know anyone who's actually worked with it yet. I have a healthy dose of skepticism, although I think Flowcine makes great products. I've just used a Ready Rig for so long that I'm used to it's pros and cons. If Gimbal Link is better, I'll probably buy in, but there's other devices to consider as well. Gimbal Link will cost close to 2.5 times as much as a Ready Rig, too -- I think they said around $8000.