/dist/images/branding/favicon

Motors for Movi Pro?

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Leif Andreas Oberg, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Leif Andreas Oberg

Leif Andreas Oberg New Member

We have currently used RT Motion for remote focus pulling and they have always been solid. I was wondering what we should use for Movi Pro?
    I have been recommended Redrock Micro but see they get a lot of complains here.
    Another brand I quess could be Heden. They have both a lighter motor and a heavier but stronger motor.
    The lenses we use are mainly Canon still lenses and Zeiss Otus lenses currently, but will probably expand to some cine lenses in the future.

We thought we would stop using our mimic and move up to a Movi Controller so we can focus directly from the controller instead.

Any thoughts?
    Best wishes,
    Andreas

2. Tom Waugh

Tom Waugh New Member

Hey Andreas,

We also use RTmotion MK3.1 setup and love the tiny MDR and good motor/range performance.

There are definitely benefits to using the internal MoVI FIZ such as the MoVI controller single op setup and lightweight due to the small motors and no external MDR, but for us the issue is how do you use them off the MoVI?

Do you commit a camera setup to the gimbal all day or do you want to be able to take the camera package on and off the gimbal quickly?

Cheers,
    Tom

Alejandro Selman likes this.
  3. Leif Andreas Oberg

Leif Andreas Oberg New Member

Hi Tom,
    We just ordered the lightweight Heden. It would not like to have the focus wheel from RT Motion attached to the movi controller, would be a bit too heavy and bulky. We are just about to get another Red so I think what we will do is have the RT Motion for the other Red and use the Heden only for the Gimbal. I have use RT Motion on our 50-1000 and it is really nice. just need to figure out a good way to have the controller attached the the setup, either the larger controller or possibly the thumbwheels.

Switching between long lens setup 50-1000 and gimbal was a slow process for us. There are so many things we have attached when we use the long lens, a massive dovetails, arri quick release plates, rods, v mount adapter on Red etc. When we switched the first time in the field it took me many hours, I'm sure I can do it far faster but was still not an easy process so having 2 setups seems better. I could imagine having the gimbal setup switchable to a camera focused on wide angle and somewhat smaller lenses, then we would not need to modify it much.

Cheers
    Andreas,