/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi shooting modes locked with app closed?

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Rick Bronks, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Rick Bronks

Rick Bronks Active Member

I'm very keen to use the Movi with Filmic Pro - like I'm sure a lot of people are. I guess there wont be true integration but...

I understand the need for the Movi app - but without the extra bitrates and colour profiles of Filmic - it may be an issue.

What I am wondering is - if I set a shooting mode in the Movi iPhone app- Something other than Majestic - say orbit - then close the app and open Filmic and shoot - will the Movi remember the mode it was last set in?

Could I start a timelapse in the movi app and then open Filmic Pro and carry on shooting?

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Rick: That's a good question -- but one I don't know the specific answer to for Filmic Pro. It could well be that the tech support gurus at FF might know the answer but they're all off at the NAB show in Las Vegas -- but should be back in the office by Friday....

But in the interim I tried an experiment just using the iPhone camera app as a proxy for Filmic Pro -- and yes, if you set the Movi to Majestic mode in the app, then switch over to the iPhone camera app, the Movi does indeed stay in Majestic mode (bear with me -- I know you asked about modes other than Majestic). That would strongly suggest that the same would be true for Filmic Pro.

I also tried using the iPhone Camera+ app, and the same held true.

I also tried the Orbit mode but that does NOT work -- the Movi trigger does not start the actual orbit manouver -- the Movi app needs to be running. I infer that the other modes that require the trigger to start/stop them will also not work with Filmic Pro.

Hope that helps (and bear in mind I might be wrong!)
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

John Chu likes this.
  3. Frank Algermissen

Frank Algermissen Active Member

I can agree to what Andy says. It's exactly the same point I posted few days ago as I said the MOVI iOS App needs much improvement otherwise functions like Timelapse for example a kinda obsolet. When I am not able to lock my focus, ISO, shutterspeed, WB than I don't need to do a Timelapse.

Same to all other functions. Hope FF was clear before launching this amazing gimbal that they also will need an amazing App with all relevant functions we know from other videos Apps. Ok, FiLMiCPro is something special cause market leader. But FF minimum should either implement the basics or cooperate with others (FiLMiCPro)

John Chu likes this.
  4. Scott Mayden

Scott Mayden New Member

I tried using two phones, one that is paired with robot and one on the robot. The one on the robot uses the software you prefer for filming . The one paired is controlling the Cinema Robot with movi software. This works with Timelapse, Movielapse and echo.

John Chu likes this.
  5. Rick Bronks

Rick Bronks Active Member

I’d expect that to work- but I assume you have to have the paired phone running the app and switched on the whole time.
    It’s a shame you can’t set the mode and the mode is stored on the movi.

Perhaps a solution could involve the Apple Watch somehow?

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Oooh....that's rather elegant a solution, Scott. Apple iPhone sales people will also like it too! :rolleyes:

Cheers
    Andy

7. SHMaRiM

SHMaRiM New Member

I’m curious whether or not anyone has found a solution to this yet. I just bought the Movi Cinema Robot and i’d like to shoot with a flat or Log profile while using the echo mode.

In Filmic Pro it only allows you to shoot in majestic and freeze mode. I noticed the Movi app itself is very limited and doesn’t feature things like color profiles and bitrate selection.

The echo mode on the other hand is awesome and i’d love to be able to use it in an app that has flat/log color profile selection and more camera controls. That’s pretty much the con I see with the Cinema Robot.