/dist/images/branding/favicon

Gimbal disconnects from ring?

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by justin kanner, Dec 26, 2019.

1. justin kanner

justin kanner New Member

Has anyone ever had the gimbal completely disconnect from the TITH (Toad in the Hole) on the ring?

Twice while operating holding onto the sides of the ring, on very slow arcs or walks, the gimbal has just fallen out of the ring by itself (luckily I caught the entire gimbal). I always make sure the TITH has the solid click and that the latch is tightly locked.

Secondly, has anyone explored saftey cables to attach the top of the gimbal to the ring that don't impact mobility or prevent range of motion?

Thanks,

~Justin

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

I've never had this happen, but have heard others talk about it. You might want to ask support@freeflysystems.com about it and see if it's a defect.

In the meantime, there is an accessory that another company made that can incorporates a safety cable without interfering with the Pan: https://xm2store.com/xm2-thingymajig-for-freefly-movi-gimbals-black-safety-upgrade/

Freefly eventually offered a similar metal collar upgrade, but it didn't incorporate this safety attachment point: https://store.freeflysystems.com/collections/movi-pro/products/movi-pro-pan-mount-upgrade

justin kanner likes this.
  3. justin kanner

justin kanner New Member

Awesome, that XM2 option looks perfect. Appreciate it Graham.

And the MoVI is currently with their support team now but they said nothing is wrong with it. It also had a drive error they couldn't replicate. Hoping it's just a corrupt MicroSD card.

Thanks again for the insights. Rolling through the forums, you're a consistent voice and resource for good info.

~J

4. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

You're welcome. That little XM2 part can be very handy when you want to put a safety cable on the Movi, if it's mounted to a pipe or whatever and you don't want the safety cable getting caught up while you're panning the Movi around remotely.

I say this a bunch: I wish more people were active here, which is the reason I keep posting, in hopes that more people will engage regularly, but the reality is there are several very active Facebook groups that discuss the Movi (and other gimbals). The downside to Facebook is it's not really search-able or google-able, so if you're just trying to look something up, it's not very helpful unless you already saw it a few weeks ago. If it weren't for the Groups, I probably would have quit Facebook long ago.

There's a lot of good information stored in these Forums, even though some of it is out of date or doesn't apply to the current Freefly lineup.

Either way, I get as much out of responding to other people as they do, and I enjoy trying to troubleshoot from afar. I learn a lot from watching other people's problems and mistakes, and it's kind of a small group of operators I've become friends with over the last few years of doing this.

The best way to participate in this Forum is to Watch the different Forums here, so it sends you an email alert when there's a new post, and maybe more people will see this and chime in. :)

5. justin kanner

justin kanner New Member

Awesome. Thank you for this. I love that you're trying to create more engagement and helping from afar. I'll definitely follow your lead and try to add as much as I can as well. (Also, let me know any key fb groups).

Hit me if your ever on the east coast - NYC or DC, we can grab a drink. I'll let you know next time I'm in LA.

Thanks!

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  6. Rolands Zelders

it have happened to me once when the gimbal have fallen out of the ring and to my mind, it's because of the srew what keeps quick release system lock solid. 15 05 20141400147086toadInTheHole.jpg

what I have discovered, how to check if it's tight, try to shake the rig with your hands and if you feel the play, tighten the screw a bit more