/dist/images/branding/favicon

MOVI PRO as head on steadicam sled - hybrid - ?

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Peter Galant, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Peter Galant

Peter Galant New Member

Welcome !

I have already discussed the topic on the Internet and practice many times, but I would like to make sure. I'm currently testing and using for this purpose my big old DJI Ronin 1. This is a hybrid of "pro" sled steadicam combined with Ronin gimbal. This combination has many advantages ... but also disadvantages. I use it by mounting on a custom made bracket that gives 40 cm more range for the TILT axis. The question is, did anyone use their Freefly MOVI PRO in combination with steadicam on the top of sled ?

With MOVI PRO at the top of the sled, I will be able to operate with the sled orbit alone (mainly without the use of the Thumb Controller) to mechanically move the TILT axis in Movi to 180 degrees as in ARRI TRINITY and the ROLL axis also 180 or 360 degrees as in MK-V AR OMEGA? Operating boom position up / high - boom down / low and vice versa ... Will the engines not fix / fade and lose their orientation when switching from Low to High and vice versa in Invert Mode with this combination? I will do it in combined with MOVI PRO? Is sense?

In attachment number 1, the OP Karsten Jager adapter and the number 2 is my Tilt axis angular adapter for Ronin assembly.

Thank you for the tips and help!

Greetings warmly, Peter!

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      60.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpeg
      2.jpeg
      File size:
      276.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Here's a BTS video of Larry McConkey operating Movi Pro on Steadicam on Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. There's a better clip of it somewhere, but I couldn't find it immediately.

3. Daniel Voorhees

Daniel Voorhees New Member

I've been doing a really simple rig but just popping the toad in the top. Then you can just tilt it down. I wish there was a thumb control tho. I wonder if it's possible through rc commands? IMG_20191212_124856_788.jpg

Attached Files:

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  4. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Daniel Voorhees likes this.
  5. Daniel Voorhees

Daniel Voorhees New Member

I think what I'm going to try is hooking up like a Arduino based RC controller to the movi? Maybe we can also make some kind of app?
    Something else that is a option is taking apart like a RC Sbus controller and then slapping it into some kind of 3D printed enclosure to make it look like just one thumb stick.
    I know the movie is able to be controlled with the movie pro app if you want to do time-lapse stuff.