/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi XL longest focal length

Discussion in 'MōVI XL' started by Jose Luis Ocejo, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

Can any one with the knowledge comment on whats the longest focal length the Move XL can take before the footage is not usable in a paved road, or off road, or on a boat etc. using a black arm
    and is there a prefered zoom lens to use
    thanks

#1 Jose Luis Ocejo, Aug 30, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  2. Ryan Sheets

Ryan Sheets Member

I am having issues getting mine past 100mm. It seems that people have done it (and the marketing video shows) which is why I purchased the Canon 30-300mm.

Balance is dialed and we use a flowcine blackarm mounted on my vehicle. (Amazing results with the movi pro up to 85mm Zeiss cp.2 or cp.3 and alright results with a 135mm prime). However, not what I am seeing with the XL.

Love any help on if it's possible. Seems to me it's not something that is easy onset like the movi pro which is where I am running into concerns getting mine dialed.

3. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

What’s the trouble? Is it small jerking movements? That can be resolved by reducing hold strength. There are a couple other ‘long lens’ settings you can try to adjust as well, like reducing max control rate. Can you describe your setup/ control method further?

4. Ariel Lagostena

Ariel Lagostena New Member

I am using a 100mm Cokee with Red Mostro 8k on Movi XL and Black Arm. The result was excellent and gave me the feeling that I could use more zoom. Of course, a good calibration is essential, the parameters have to be ideal.

A simple example: In the Black Arm line, I see many times that they use counterweight in the "Tranquilizer" making them touch the inner plates and canceling the internal anti-vibration system. I see it in 90% of black arm users.

It is an engineering tool that if all the parameters are adjusted to an ideal point, I think you can use more than 300mm zoom.

[​IMG]

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  5. Ryan Sheets

Ryan Sheets Member

Thanks for the response. I agree, tranquilizer need to be dialed. I have ordered some stronger o rings and pan barrels to test out - as well as grip gear to create another point of structure near the end of the lens. (A few users have told me this works very well)

Once I test again I will get actual details on my values, etc.

6. If you start using longer fixed focal lengths, especially above 500mm, it is recommended that you acquire the F.O.G (Fibre Optic Gyro), to use in tandem wit the MoVI XL.

The FOG advantages:
    • Having 100x lower drift than the stock MEMS sensor (the only perceptible drift comes from the rotation of the earth)
    • Resistance to vibrations
    • Adaptability to high accelerations
    • Lower noise and “random walk” than MEMS Sensors, for long lens shooting.

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  7. Ryan Sheets

Ryan Sheets Member

Hey Chris,

Totally agree - I am just trying to recreate what the FreeflySystems Movi XL promo video was able to do with a Canon 30-300 before the FOG was available. (Plus I don't have an extra 20k)

If a test FOG ever comes available I would love to try it though once I have everything dialed.

Thanks,

Ryan

8. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

... it was some time back, but we had a very well known DP ask us to build a 25-250 optimo style with a 2x doubler, on the XL, black arm, and on a Can Am buggy tracking on flat-ish snow surface.
    I was operating, and he was on the zoom control, crash zooming into the athletes we were tracking with.
    It was challenging operating... but the shots were rock solid.

(We would love to have a FOG... but, it's just too costly for us to ever make a return from it unfortunately).

9. Ryan Sheets

Ryan Sheets Member

Copy that. Wish Freefly would show off how it works more than the small amount I have seen and the short promo video. Thanks for sharing. Appreciate that.
    [/QUOTE]

10. Ryan Sheets

Ryan Sheets Member

Also, does anyone have recommendations on lens motors for the Movi XL with a 30-300? I am using Redrock Torque motors that work great, but can't get the zoom to work. (Most likely because its stiffer than most lens I work with these motors on)

- Can you use two different motors on same setup with movi XL and movi controller? (Only asking as I am trying to save money to get testing done)

- If a Redrock SLS motor will work. Anyone have one used for sale?

Thanks.

11. Martin Mikitas

Martin Mikitas New Member

Hi Ryan,
    We’re we’re having some issues with our motors as well. Zoom seem to get faulted all the time. After digging in the options and setting torque to max it was clear that our motor couldn’t deal with the stiffness of the zoom mechanism (Angeneux EZ1-2 and chrosziel m100 motor) so replaced it with heden 26 and voila, no problems. So now m100 is on the zoom while heden deals with zoom.