/dist/images/branding/favicon

Dying Mid Batteries

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Fisch Rasy, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Fisch Rasy

Fisch Rasy New Member

Hey Guys,

We're running a Red Gemini with a Teradek DSMC2 Bolt 500 unit attached (it's the one that actually fits in front of the v-lock adapter, rather than a stand alone unit), and only 1 redrock micro lens motor...

We have 6 batteries, but most of them last (tops) about 15mins, and sometimes the unit just dies with 45-50% battery left, no warning.

We think the problem is that the wireless unit is drawing far too much power, or that the batteries are cactus... either way we've had the Movi Pro & batteries for less than 12months and it's only used about once a month, if that.

Any ideas?

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, the Movi Pro batteries have had problems with longevity. Some of it may be due to how you stored them over time, but regardless, you're not the first person to run into this problem.

Many of us switched to using Ignite Digi battery adapters that allow you to put DJI TB50 batteries on the Movi Pro, and this has greatly extended the battery life and power capabilities. If you get them, I suggest getting the ones with Lemo outputs, so you can directly power some accessories that need more power than the Movi's circuits can allow.

3. Fisch Rasy

Fisch Rasy New Member

Thanks Graham,

That was actually what we were thinking of doing... hence why we don't own many batteries, lol.

How many do you keep for a day of shooting Movi? And how long to they take to charge?

Hopefully that gives a better life to the power draw...

#3 Fisch Rasy, Dec 3, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  4. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

I have 10 TB50's in my kit, but you could start with 6 or 8. I switched about 18 months ago, and they've all been solid since. I still get really good performance from them. I recently bought the 8-bay Battery Charging case, which was expensive but I use them so much that I think it's a nice addition.

Initially, it cost a little less than $3000 for the switch-over, including adapters, batteries, and chargers. There are some cheaper adapters out there, but I've seen them on a friend's gimbal, and the build quality is definitely inferior, and the batteries don't seem to latch properly. I highly recommend buying from Ignite Digi, and their customer service is also outstanding.

In the end, I own both a Movi Pro and a Ronin 2, so having the TB50's be able to work with both gimbals makes a lot of sense for me. I'm not a huge fan of DJI, but I really do need to own both with the type of work that I find myself doing. I'm hoping Freefly will come out with a slightly larger Movi Pro that could compete with DJI in terms of payload, but for now I use both. I like that I can own a lot of gear that will work with both gimbals.

Fisch Rasy likes this.
  5. Fisch Rasy

Fisch Rasy New Member

Thanks mate!!

That was super helpful.

Graham Futerfas likes this.