/dist/images/branding/favicon

New counterweight set up

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Marc Smith, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Pavel Houda

Pavel Houda Member

Will it handle filters?

2. John Chu

John Chu Active Member

I would think so, the set includes an assortment of weights.

Pavel Houda likes this.
  3. Pavel Houda

Pavel Houda Member

Thank you John, the reason for the asking is in part that the description just talk about lenses, and the fact that there are two kits. Regular and XL. To deal with the difference between iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max for example. If I add a filter adapter and a CPL filter to the iPhone XS, the weight difference is more than the weight difference between the two phones. It appears that there is much less adjustability than with the “legacy “ counterweights. Don’t want to waste another $60, so I was wondering what the manual says. Sometimes filters are quite necessary.

John Chu likes this.
  4. John Chu

John Chu Active Member

Yeah—I kind of regret not getting the larger set. I figure I can purchase extra pieces as needed.

Pavel Houda likes this.
  5. Pavel Houda

Pavel Houda Member

All lenses foam.jpeg Anamorphic.jpeg Pitaka Case Modified.jpeg Anamorphic in case.jpeg All lenses out.jpeg Anamorphicwith fillter in case.jpeg Anamorphic with filter straight.jpeg Anamorphic in Movi, mic.jpeg I decided to do two setups. One is quite loaded with lenses and filters, the new counterweight set may not have enough weights and adjustability for all the options, specially since the filters and adapters will tilt the payload forward/downwards a bit. So I am afraid that I will still need the "legacy" counterweights. I didn't have the patience to wait for the Moment Cinematic Case, so I modified a Pitaka case with bayonet insert that I got from Moondog Labs (BTW, they just adapted the bayonet mount like Moment's). I decided that the iPhone 11 Pro Max is not for me. At this point I m thinking iPhone 12+++ next. For now I am sticking with he XS Max.

#25 Pavel Houda, Nov 23, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    John Chu likes this.
  6. JOHN A MERRILL

JOHN A MERRILL New Member

I have the iPhone11 pro with the Moment Filmakers case. The counterweights suggested setup does not include the iPhone11 pro. I'm having an incredibly difficult time with the Moment 58mm tele.

Assuming that the movi team has the new cases I hope that updated instructions will be provided online.

7. Stephen Hart

Stephen Hart Active Member

Here's a weird thing about the forum software that I've seen before:
    I received an email this morning with a post by Pavel Houda "I made my own interface to the 52mm filters..." plus some attachments.
    But that post doesn't show up in the actual forum. And the attachment links don't work from email.
    This is in Safari 13.0.4.

8. Pavel Houda

Pavel Houda Member

I apologize for re-redoing to the post. I used the wrong photos previously, that didn't show my point. I too didn't like the sizes of the 62mm filters. What was the worst, was the variable ND filter. Because of it's thickness and associated vignetting, the front diameter grew over 70mm. I found that Moondog Labs sells cool 52mm attachment for the Moment lenses (except for the anamorphic for competitive reason). I therefore made up my own Moment anamorphic adapter out of the Moment foam rubber filter adapter insert, wrapped a turn of gaffer tape around the narrower part, and inserted 46mm to 52mm filter adapter on the insert and the gaffer tape. Now I have an arrangement for 52mm filters on all the Moment lenses. Moment also sells 37mm bayonet mount for 37mm filters. I use that, as well as adding 37mm to 52mm adapter, so now I have light and tiny 37mm filter arrangement as well as 52mm one, again, using that 37mm to 52mm adapter. I am adding some photos. Sorry for the confusion I caused. My 62mm filters are waiting for other lenses o my other cameras. IMG_2748.jpeg IMG_2753.jpeg IMG_2750.jpeg IMG_2751.jpeg IMG_2754.jpeg IMG_2755.jpeg IMG_2756.jpeg IMG_2757.jpeg IMG_2759.jpeg IMG_2760.jpeg

John Chu likes this.
  9. Stephen Hart

Stephen Hart Active Member

Cool. Real old-school photo equipment sensibility.

Pavel Houda likes this.
  10. Pavel Houda

Pavel Houda Member

I wanted to add the filter only setups for the Moment mount, but the post only allows 10 photos, so I add one more post. The first picture shows 37mm filter with support featuring Moment bayonet mount. I have several fixed ND filters, CPL from Moondog Labs (extra dainty), and a variable ND. This is extra light arrangement and probably doesn’t require any counterweights. The second photo shows details of the Moment filter mount with 37mm to 52mm step up adapter for 52mm filters that can be used on the lenses as well. The third photo shows variety of 52mm filters in a stack. These include CPL, clear (UV), variety of fixed ND, and variable ND. I found one that doesn’t cause the X artifact, but has more limited range. Also the front diameter is 55mm. The fourth photo shows the same stack from different POV.
    EA035D71-CD8D-4888-891A-D68C757F37EA.jpeg 41CE36BB-F10C-4B34-AAF4-93089787CB69.jpeg B7BCC9C8-ABA9-41D3-B4CC-DDDF4879A876.jpeg 3FF7EB70-80A5-47A1-9944-BBC27C4C8E74.jpeg

#30 Pavel Houda, Dec 20, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2019