/dist/images/branding/favicon

Quick release while buttoned on (one take)

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Fisch Rasy, Nov 4, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Fisch Rasy

Fisch Rasy New Member

Hey team,

We're planning a one take shot which goes from a crane (with movi pro attached) to handheld movi pro operator...

ie movi is on the crane then it comes off, but needs to be recording the whole time.

I've seen examples of takes done this way, but no details on the mounting etc...

Anyone have any ideas on how to approach this?

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Chris Herr has built a pipe\sleeve system he calls the Talon, and it works pretty smoothly. Connor O'Brien of 1A Tools has a magnetic release system that's also pretty cool and well thought out, and I think he was making it available to rent.

A number of other ideas: Freefly sells the Catch and Release system, which could be used to tie the rig onto your crane, or you could even just build a gimbal dock and attach it to the crane, so basically the gimbal rests in two hooks. I built my gimbal dock out of a cheap garage hook from Lowes, and put it on a stand by drilling a hole in it and putting it in a gobo head from a c-stand. You could lift it out of that, but it might not be as smooth of a transition.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-12-8-in-Gray-Steel-Utility-Hook/50218517

Additionally, if you need a support vest for the handheld part, Ready Rig has started making Loops that attach to the vest's arms, and you can put your fore-arms in the loops, and it really helps support the gimbal and keep it from getting shaky because of the weight. https://www.ready-rig.com/collections/accessories/products/wrist-support-straps

3. Fisch Rasy

Fisch Rasy New Member

Thanks heap Graham.

I've seen the catch and release system before, just scares me to put the red on the movi and then send it up into the air, lol.

I release that I'll have to make peace with that fact at some point when throwing it on the crane... This Shotdock from motion24 looks great: https://motion24.tv/movi-services/the-shotdock/ I fear the price...

4. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Yeah, I thought about the Shot Dock. Let me know if you hear back from Motion 24. James has been pushing that system for like 3 years, but so far they're the only ones who have had access to it. Grip Haus makes it, but I don't think they ever sold to the public. I think they mentioned $7000 to $8000 to buy at one point, but I never heard of them starting to sell them.

Where are you located? If you're near Los Angeles, I'd give Connor O'Brien a ring and see if he can rent you his magnetic release. It's really made for this kind of shot.

5. Fisch Rasy

Fisch Rasy New Member

Yeh reached out, but will post if something comes out of it.

I'm in Australia, so LA is a bit far to come, but I'll check out Connor's rig :)

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Flsch, welcome to the forum.
    If it's not too much trouble, would you be kind enough to change your user name to your real first name and last name, please? The reasons for this (and how to do it) are explained here: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/real-names.497/
    Thanks
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

7. Fisch Rasy

Fisch Rasy New Member

Copy that Andy, Fisch Rasy is my real name.

Connor sent me some info on his system and it seems pretty solid, but he's not ready to share yet :)

#7 Fisch Rasy, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019