/dist/images/branding/favicon

Motor & ESC

Discussion in 'ALTA X' started by Jason Toth, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Jason Toth

Jason Toth Active Member

#1 Jason Toth, Sep 24, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  2. Tom Comet

Tom Comet Member

I believe that is in fact what is being used. I'll have a better idea tomorrow as ours is scheduled to arrive then...

3. Jason Toth

Jason Toth Active Member

Thx Tom!

Do you mind weighing everything including Movi & batts.

From my calculations it looks like it will be 47lbs, leaving only 8lbs for camera gear before it’s illegal / over 55lbs.

#3 Jason Toth, Sep 24, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  4. Daniel Waghorne

Jason, you are correct. Any package you put on this drone will bust the 55lb limit. Hopefully, Freefly is working with the FAA in order to get the Alta X approved for future 44807 Exemptions, as the exemption is granted on a craft basis (among many other things) and they seem to have done more testing on the X than any other UHL drone, which is a major component for the exemption. It's a very long and arduous process, but if they happened to get an X exempted, it would only make it easier for the rest of us.

5. Jason Toth

Jason Toth Active Member

100%

The U1 is exempt now, so it’s possible & hopefully this one will follow suit so insurance coverage is not voided.

Main issue I see is the redundancy, not sure how the FAA will handle that one.

6. Daniel Waghorne

Well, one U1 is exempt, but Victor spent years working alongside the FAA to make that happen. And even then it still has limitations on where it can be flown in the final exemption on Regulations.gov.

Agreed. I don't see them allowing it at all with no redundancy, regardless of how near impossible Freefly claims these motors are to fail. Who knows, hopefully I'm wrong and they'll start exempting crafts way sooner than I imagine.

7. Jason Toth

Jason Toth Active Member

Yeah spoke w/ Victor, lots of work done on the U1. Up here T.C. requirements for +55lb SFOC are multiple redundancies so I would think all other countries would be the same since the are all basing things of SORA.

Regarding motors... the X’s motors are awesome since they are DJI M12 / E7000’s but if it’s man made it will fail eventually & if it flies its only a matter of time before it falls... just ask Boeing :(

So there’s no reason not to have redundancies for peace of mind & public safety - the X looks sexy and flies great but could have easily been a Alta 6 Pro w/ M10 / E5000s (hint... hint...) and the redundancy question would be squashed since ya have at least 1x failsafe. We would love a 55lbs “ready to fly” drone that we didn’t have to make :)

#7 Jason Toth, Oct 13, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2019