/dist/images/branding/favicon

the new iphone 11 and 11 pro ultra wide camera

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by farbrorjoakim, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

It would be interesting to know how stable the 13mm is when handheld. Info to date is that it does not have lens stabilisation.

#21 Rorick Edge, Sep 20, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  2. Mark Phelan

Mark Phelan New Member

I have tried the 11 Pro on the MCR and confirm the 13mm ultra wide does indeed show the arm. I can also confirm you can't move the phone enough to the left to get the arm out of the shot. Even moving the phone to where it is hanging halfway out of the mount, it still shows the arm.

But I figured out a very cheap and quick fix for it. Turn the phone backwards and hold the MCR backwards. This works perfectly fine, no weights needed. Sure, you can't see the entire screen during the shot, but you CAN see enough of it to compose a shot. If you have to use the ultra wide lens, it works and doesn't cost a thing, except your pride.

3. Rorick Edge

Hi Mark, your second sentence is inconsistent with the findings of other 11 Pro owners, who are discovering that it is important to test with the camera set to record a video clip rather than a photo.

You will find it helpful to see the most recent posts (page 5) by @Stephen Hart, @Kevin P Riley and me in this current thread: https://forum.freeflysystems.com/in...s-iphone-11-pro-and-mobile-film-making.13279/

Stephen and Kevin both have an 11 Pro. I have a Pro Max.

#23 Rorick Edge, Sep 26, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  4. Mark Phelan

Mark Phelan New Member

Well I did just check again to make sure I wasn't in photo mode by accident and yes, the ultra wide still shows the arm in video mode, even if I move the phone halfway out of the mount on the left. Just my findings.

5. Rorick Edge

This is very odd. Will be interesting to see what @Stephen Hart discovers after he re-tests.

All I can say is that the Max Pro, which is 0.55” longer, will work with the MCR with a small offset from the cradle’s right edge (the phone is acceptably secure in the cradle), and that @Kevin P Riley’s revised finding is at least in the ballpark for offset if it’s correct to extrapolate from the Max Pro. The Max Pro is also 0.25” wider (taller in the cradle), which conceivably also has a bearing on this.

#25 Rorick Edge, Sep 26, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    Mark Phelan likes this.
  6. Stephen Hart

Stephen Hart Active Member

"Will be interesting to see what @Stephen Hart discovers after he re-tests."

Just adding to this thread that I tested again and found that in video mode (16:9), I had to move the iPhone 11 Pro around 1⅝ inches to the left to get the motor comfortably out of the view. That puts the center line on the Movi clamp just about at the right edge of the video frame on the screen. The Movi clamp still holds the camera pretty well, but out in the field, I'd probably want better support, such as a cut-down case slid to the right.
    And you'd need counterweights.

I'm waiting to see if anyone here (or at Freefly proper) tests this idea.

7. Mark Phelan

Mark Phelan New Member

Here is what the iPhone 11 Pro Ultra Wide lens looks like at normal setup, then shifted left, then shifted left until the phone falls out of the clamp. Needless to say, the Movi would never be able to balance, much less hold onto the phone like this. And yet it still shows the motor arm. I had to balance the phone on the Movi box to get it to play nice for the photo. Edit: the photos are in reverse order, but you get the idea. IMG_8455copy.jpg IMG_1821copy.jpg IMG_3242copy.jpg

John Chu and Rorick Edge like this.
  8. Stephen Hart

What app are you using?

9. Mark Phelan

Mark Phelan New Member

Filmic Pro.

10. Rorick Edge

It does look like the Osmo Mobile 3 will work with both the Pro and Pro Max, no counterweights required. There was a question about this with the Pro, but there is now at least one video on YouTube shot with the Pro that has none of the gimbal in the image. Apple has the Osmo in stock, and at US$120 it is a pretty inexpensive solution. You can buy three of them for the price of an MCR and counterweights. Apparently the Osmo will take a small counterweight (product to be announced) if needed.

#30 Rorick Edge, Oct 2, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    John Chu likes this.
  11. Stephen Hart

Does Filmic support the ultra-wide lens? I thought that was coming later in the year.

12. Mark Phelan

Mark Phelan New Member

Honestly, don't know! But I'm able to choose three different lenses, so that's what I'm getting. I saw the keynote too and so don't know what to tell you. That's why I posted the photos. I'm using 6.10.0 (Build 1053) of Filmic Pro.

13. Mark Phelan

Mark Phelan New Member

I was getting ready to send the MCR back and purchase the Osmo, but am holding off because there really isn't a single solution gimbal on the market. I still think the MCR is a better gimbal, just can't work with the 13mm unless you flip things backwards, which is a goofy ghetto fix. But it doesn't require any weights, which is a plus in my book. Then I've read several posts saying the Osmo does have issues with the 13mm as well. Not sure it can do a barrel roll either, perhaps it can. There are definitely issues with the MCR, but I can mount a shotgun mic on it and don't know how I'd do that with any of the other gimbals.

14. Rorick Edge

#34 Rorick Edge, Oct 3, 2019
  15. Rorick Edge

This video was shot with the Osmo and the 11 Pro. The person who made it addresses the issue in comments in response to a question. Also, DJI has a small counterweight coming out, if needed.

#35 Rorick Edge, Oct 3, 2019
    John Chu and Mark Phelan like this.
  16. Mark Phelan

Mark Phelan New Member

17. Mark Phelan

Mark Phelan New Member

That's definitely a plus in the Osmo column. Still considering it.

18. Rorick Edge

Just tried it again and was able to switch between the three, but I’m sticking with the native app for the time being.

19. Stephen Hart

OK. I got the same results you did using Filmic Pro with the Ultra-wide lens. I had to move the iPhone 11 Pro quite a bit farther to the left compared to the native Camera app, to get the motor out of the view. I'm not sure why.
    (I was testing in video mode with the Movi switched off.)

I also noticed something interesting. If I rotate the Movi clamp, with iPhone installed, to the left, as if to aim away from the motor, the motor goes out of the view, then drifts back in. At least that's what I think I see. Maybe that's the iPhone's stabilization in effect.

#39 Stephen Hart, Oct 3, 2019
  20. Rorick Edge

Interesting, See the comment from the guy who made the video in post #35. He thinks that an iOS update solved the problem of part of the Osmo gimbal being in the frame with the Pro. I have no idea why that would be, but since the update he is apparently no longer having a problem.

#40 Rorick Edge, Oct 3, 2019