/dist/images/branding/favicon

A revolution or fake news? iPhone 11 pro and mobile film making

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Rick Bronks, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Stephen Hart

Stephen Hart Active Member

Another idea:
    1. Buy a hard-back slim case like this one: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MWYK2ZM/A/iphone-11-pro-clear-case
    2. Cut off ¼ inch from the top so it can slide up and down (and modify the button holes)
    3. Mark the point where the bottom of the phone needs to be to make the 13mm lens miss the Movi motor.
    4. Add Freefly counterweights. Other threads say the new weight system is very good.

Downside: This all ads up to a bit of cash, so you'd only want to do this if you expect to use the iPhone 11 Pro on a Movi often.
    Even if you can use the 13mm hand held, it might be handier to keep the iPhone mounted in the Movi so you can switch lenses quickly.

#81 Stephen Hart, Sep 26, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  2. Kevin P Riley

Kevin P Riley Active Member

I had already been toying with this idea for the last couple of days. This post put me over the edge. I had a moment case for my iPhone XS and since it won’t work with the 11 pro, I just cut the upper side edge off and used the dremel to sand it down smooth. Works just fine. Just be sure to run the level tool to make sure it isn’t off kilter. I would like to fill in the bottom portion and maybe even add some weight in there, but I can use it as is for now.

It wasn’t a stretch for me, I already had the case and I have the counterweights.

I did figure out the phone doesn’t have to be as far out as I thought. I was using the photo setting instead of the video setting.

Attached Files:

3. Stephen Hart

Thanks for that post.
    "I did figure out the phone doesn’t have to be as far out as I thought. I was using the photo setting instead of the video setting."

Hmmm. Maybe that's why I've been getting different results from others here. I have been taking stills. Apparently I'm clueless about all the differences between Photo and Video settings. (I have no excuse, as I've seen different framing in cameras before.)

I will certainly check that out.

(I edited my earlier post to fix a typo and add that one would need to modify a case for the button holes.)

4. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

I’m curious to see the result. As you know, it’s very hard to square the offset that I need for the Pro Max and what you have needed for the Pro, and Kevin needed before he switched from “photo” to “video”. It would be interesting to know how much improvement he’s gotten.

Sounds like there should be less of a discrepancy between your offset and mine if you’re in video at 16:9. Might be worth trying 16:9 in still photo too, just for curiosity’s sake. Also, perhaps check to see whether it makes a difference if “Videos Capture Outside the Frame” is activated or not in Settings > Camera > Composition. Activation of this setting for photos may be part of your problem.

#84 Rorick Edge, Sep 26, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  5. Kevin P Riley

before The butt of the phone was between the O and the V now it’s between the V and the I. I do use “video capture outside the frame”

Rorick Edge likes this.
  6. Stephen Hart

"O and the V now it’s between the V and the I"
    ???

Also, I just read today that 16:9 can be cropped to 4:3 with no loss in pixels because the cameras are capturing both at the same time.

I had Videos Capture Outside the Frame off until today. And 4K60 set to on. I'll check all this out. It seems like there are a lot of settings that might affect this issue. Anyone want to create a table?

#86 Stephen Hart, Sep 26, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  7. Kevin P Riley

the word MOVI is stamped in the clamp.

I was describing where the bottom of the phone was in relation to the word MOVI in the clamp.

8. Stephen Hart

"Sounds like there should be less of a discrepancy between your offset and mine if you’re in video at 16:9. Might be worth trying 16:9 in still photo too, just for curiosity’s sake."

You were absolutely right. I was forgetting that the video frame is different from the photo frame (set at default 4:3). (I don't speak emoji, but imagine a shame-faced emoji.)

If I set the mode to video, I need to move the iPhone 11 Pro about 1⅝ inches to the left to get the motor out of view. This is near what I got the first time I checked this, when I must have had the video mode set. In this position, the Movi center line is just about at the right edge of the video frame. This is about the same as photo mode set to 16:9.
    The iPhone is securely held in the clamp in this position, but for field use, one might still want a topless case (as discussed above) or a clamp extension of some kind, for extra security.

And you'd need counterweights.

I also will be trying out the 13mm lens with just an iPhone clamp and handle, or maybe a dual handle setup. (I have a JOBY Hand Grip, but there are many alternatives and it'd be pretty easy to make a handle.)

9. Rorick Edge

Hi, 1 5/8” is still further left than @Kevin P Riley says he needs and further than an extrapolation from my Pro Max would suggest is needed.

I’ve decided to try reducing gimbal use altogether, not just for the 13mm, and I mention some ordinary hand grip options in this post, which includes links to two iPhone 11 videos shot by hand: https://forum.freeflysystems.com/in...g-down-lumafusion-no-gimbal.13297/#post-89098 I have a Manfrotto TwistGrip already, and expect delivery of their PIXI Mini tomorrow, which together will work as both a hand grip and mini-tripod. The post includes a Moment Lens video showing the Manfrotto setup.

People who record sound might also have a look at the post right after that one, which talks about a related problem - keeping a microphone that is mounted on the MCR out of the image when using the 13mm lens: https://forum.freeflysystems.com/in...g-down-lumafusion-no-gimbal.13297/#post-89103

#89 Rorick Edge, Sep 27, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  10. Stephen Hart

Kevin P Riley wrote that the bottom of the iPhone was "between O and the V now it’s between the V and the I." I was measuring from the center line on the clamp, but I think our results are similar, when I have video mode set.

The mic question is interesting. The Shure MV88 does not intrude into the frame when plugged into the Lightning port. A mic on a handle on some kind of a base plate could be positioned in a way the Movi can't, so I think you could get it out of the way, though maybe you'd need a longer base plate. The Joby Hand Grip comes with a base plate that's about 8 inches long (and quite heavy).

Rorick Edge likes this.
  11. Rorick Edge

Got it, I thought that you were measuring from the cradle’s right edge.

The commonest mike setup with the MCR is to mount a mike on a Hoodie. I’m going to try it tomorrow with a 138mm (5.5”) condenser mike with a standard foam ball windscreen on it. If the 13mm lens catches the mike, I’ll try using a spacer between the Hoodie and the mike mount to raise the mike’s height. It’s also possible to mount a mike under the MCR, although that would prevent one from setting it down :)

That said, as mentioned above I’m moving in the direction of reducing, if not eliminating, use of the MCR. At the moment, my view of Freefly is not positive, and I want to find out just how stable the 11 phones are on their own. Videos by people who know what they’re talking about suggest that the inbuilt stability is very good: https://forum.freeflysystems.com/in...g-down-lumafusion-no-gimbal.13297/#post-89098

I also want to check out the Osmo Mobile 3 (Apple stores have them in stock), which according to recent YouTube videos works well with the iPhone 11 and the 11 Pro Max. On the Osmo and the 11 Pro, see this guy’s last few videos, in particular his response to a question in the comments about this video:

#91 Rorick Edge, Sep 27, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  12. Stephen Hart

There are a zillion adapters and so on with ¼ x 20 threads, cold shoe mounts, etc. at Amazon.

13. John Chu

John Chu Active Member

Methinks you should also incorporate a wireless charging plate for the iPhone too. :)

14. Stephen Hart

Also, a cupholder.

John Chu likes this.
  15. Peter Hardingham

Peter Hardingham New Member

For what it's worth, I've taken delivery of the Zhiyun Smooth-Q2 this week and it has a standard mode to avoid the gimbal appearing in shot when using the ultra wide. It's crazily small but very well built, and I suspect will go with me to more places because of that.

I'm keeping the Freefly MCR though...it still has advantages with its form factor...but I'm not going to muck about adding weights.

Rorick Edge likes this.