/dist/images/branding/favicon

Our ALTA X is Here - First Impressions...

Discussion in 'ALTA X' started by Tom Comet, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Tom Comet

Tom Comet Member

So we were lucky enough to receive our new ALTA X today which was well ahead of schedule and ahead of all my expectations as well which is great. Nice one Freefly!

The DroneBoy team was all present as we just happened to be in the middle a "shop/training day" so the timing couldn't have been better. Of course we immediately ripped into all the boxes, charged the massive 12S batts, quickly reread the WIKI (well, some of it anyway...), got it on our insurance and immediately launched her skyward with reckless abandon.

It is difficult to describe just how well the AX performs. I am hesitant to describe it this way but I I can only say that she flies "way better than an Inspire 2" and that is with our 20lb RED cine package and our MoVI PRO underslung. Both of which are totally dwarfed by her size. Something about that size just breeds confidence, not to mention power and agility. As a pilot there was no point where I found myself thinking negative thoughts such as "just 4 motors" or any of the rest of those lack of redundancy fears. She is a little "tippy" with no payload but really comes into her own with weight. Just like my GMG 3500 dually truck. Come to think of it, those HUGE motors kind of remind me of big, torquey diesel engines spinning slow and not working very hard to do a lot of work... We have yet to strap on the full 35lbs but I have no doubt that the AX won't even break a sweat with that weight.

It is nice to see Freefly doing what they excel at with the AX and that, in my mind, is industrial and aeronautical design. Forget the flight controllers, ESCs and motors. This very innovative, new foldable ultra heavy lift (UHL) drone design knocks it out of the park. I feel like they challenged themselves to build an UHL drone that flies amazingly well, fits into a reasonably sized box and can lift 35 lbs for a decent amount of time. This machine does all that and more. It can also come right out of the box and be flight ready in less than 5 minutes which is bloody amazing. It flies faster than an Inspire 2 and is nimble as F*CK!

Well done Freefly. I am looking forward to flying my A$$ off again tomorrow.

Dimitar Krustev and Jason Smoker like this.
  2. Jason Toth

Jason Toth Active Member

Awesome, thanks Tom!

3. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Team at Freefly was really happy to hear you are impressed Tom!

Best,

Tabb

Alejandro Selman likes this.
  4. Tom Comet

Tom Comet Member

Thanks Tabb! I know I have been a bit of a "tough customer" of late. You guys really hit this one out of the park!

5. Tom Comet

Tom Comet Member

First day on set with our AX and I am definitely still full of those warm fuzzy feelings of this "first date". Every other Heavy Lift machine I have ever piloted sounds and acts like it is at near max capacity the entire time it is airborne but not our trusty AX...! This machine leaps into the air and acts and sounds like it is barely working at all. Very stable and we did four takes at 50+M and still landed with more than half batts. Not that it matters much but the crew definitely took notice of her distinctive and rugged good looks too. Nice one FF!