/dist/images/branding/favicon

Traveling with Alta Lipos in US

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Jaron Denson, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Jaron Denson

Jaron Denson New Member

Hey Everyone,
    Used the search function to look around but most topics discussing the issue seem to be a few years old. I know the regulations have remained consistent with 100WH but I am checking to see if enforcement has changed at all. I do mostly local Alta Jobs and travel with Inspire 2. I need to carry on 16 x 6S 10,000mah and 4 x 16,000mah. There is three of us in the flight crew going so we can split them up among us but that would not account for all of them obviously if sticking to the regulations. Does anyone have any current experiences they care to share?

I know when in doubt to ship, but the job has only given me enough notice to ship today and if nothing happens it will arrive the day before I shoot. I would like at least a day buffer so I am weighing my options.

Thank you for your time.

2. Rick Gerard

Rick Gerard Active Member

No way to carry batteries that size on a commercial aircraft. Absolutely no way. Directly from the FAA regs:
    (iii) For a non-spillable battery, the battery and equipment must conform to ยง173.159a(d). Each battery must not exceed a voltage greater than 12 volts and a watt-hour rating of not more than 100 Wh. No more than two individually protected spare batteries may be carried. Such equipment and spare batteries must be carried in checked or carry-on baggage.

Alta batteries are 24 volts and a minimum of 10,000 Mah so that's 230 Wh. Not even close.