/dist/images/branding/favicon

A revolution or fake news? iPhone 11 pro and mobile film making

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Rick Bronks, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Rick Bronks

Rick Bronks Active Member

So my thoughts... I'm not a 'fanboy' but I think people seem to be concentrating on the aesthetics of these new iPhones rather than looking at the real deeper picture..feel free to correct any of my assumptions!

The iPhone 11 Pro is a massive step in mobile film making.
    Aside from the gimmicks of slo mo selfies and the now standard increase in photographic quality they really have done something remarkable.

Three lenses. Simultaneously shooting video and coupled with a hugely powerful app like Filmic Pro can offer a multi camera shoot on an iPhone. Choosing the shot - with no quality loss? In 4K 60p? It’s mind-blowing.

It would negate the use for external lenses on the iPhone, meaning a smaller, lighter setup and perfect for use in the Movi. Could it breathe new life into the device - the camera quality looks like it will trounce other portable options (Go Pro, Osmo Pocket etc) so makes the Movi 'current' again.

I notice the demo didn't have counterweights on. I would love the setup to be nice and compact again. No balancing - turn on and go. I've never been a fan of strapping other glass to my iPhone - more stuff to carry, more points of failure - more points of quality loss etc etc.

Am I over reacting? This is the biggest leap in quality mobile film making and photography since cameras first appears on phones.

It’s astonishing and revolutionary. Or it it?

2. Kevin P Riley

Kevin P Riley Active Member

I agree completely, being able to get wide and ultra wide at the same time, as well as not needing the counter weights makes me excited to pick up the Movi again. To be honest I haven’t used it since I got my Osmo pocket.

3. Rick Bronks

I had a little message with someone who does the Movi instagram and they said the wide may need a counterweight but I don't quite understand how that's even possible to affect the weight. I would imagine the iPhone 11 pro (not max) would work without too much issue regardless of which of the 3 lenses you'd pick.

As Movi was seen in the promo - I'm guessing someone has had a play and it would be good to get an answer :)

4. Kevin P Riley

The only reason I could see it needing a counter weight is to shift the phone enough to keep the motor out of the shot with the super wide. But I will get the Osmo mobile 3 before I use it with a counter weight.

John Chu likes this.
  5. Rick Bronks

Would it balance in the Osmo Mobile?

6. Kevin P Riley

The moment team balance almost all their lenses on the Osmo mobile 3 without the use of a counterweight. And with the change of angle for the arm, the motor doesn’t get in the way.

7. Rick Bronks

bloody impressive. Might be me done with Movi - as much as I LOVE the form factor it's just not practical to haul the weights and crap around to use an external lens.

8. Kevin P Riley

I’m gonna preorder the 11 pro on Friday (and I get to sleep in) and hopefully have it the next Friday and will make my determination then. If it works with the movi without counter weights I will be stoked, particularly with filmic support. But if it doesn’t....Osmo mobile 3...here I come.

9. Rick Bronks

Exactly my plan too. I see the Osmo Mobile combo is so cheap it's worth picking up purely because it's so compact. Will wait to see though what happens and what is tested etc.

Does the Osmo still have the Filmic integration with the 3 or has that not arrived yet I wonder?

10. Kevin P Riley

I don’t think it does yet, but with such an update coming down later this year...I can’t believe it won’t.

11. Rick Bronks

Well the O3 seems out of stock everywhere so it's likely I'll have the phone before the Osmo!

12. Kevin P Riley

Yep it’s a hot item right now, dji is shipping 20-25 days after purchase.

13. Kevin P Riley

14. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

I’ll be ordering the new phone. The only question is whether I go with two lenses or three, the price difference being US$300 (Pro) or US$400 (Pro Max).

Curious to know the thoughts of others on the 52mm lens. I don’t own any add-on lenses, so that’s not a consideration for me.

Does anyone have a roughly 13mm add-on lens now who can comment on avoiding the gimbal in the frame?

EDIT: On the question about the 13mm lens, see posts #4, 5 and 6 in this thread: https://forum.freeflysystems.com/in...nd-11-pro-ultra-wide-camera.13278/#post-88877

#14 Rorick Edge, Sep 11, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  15. Rick Bronks

I have been digging- so those posts are accurate as far as I know.

at the moment. I have tried an anamorphic lens with my iPhone X and the MCR. I have to shift it over or I catch the back of the movi in some shots. However I have to use the weights anyway so sliding it over isn't an issue.

We are awaiting an answer on if the iPhone used in the demo for apple was the max or not. If it was then it's likely it will need weights because it has to slide over to avoid the rig being in shot - the smaller phone may not need the weights but will still need to be slid over.

Rorick Edge likes this.
  16. Stephen Hart

Stephen Hart Active Member

I will also be getting the 11 pro asap (though I don't know if I'll manage to be up before 5:00 am tomorrow).
    FWIW, I just did some comparison shots with my Panasonic Lumix FZ2500 and iPhone Xs, and the 35mm-equivalent figures listed look pretty accurate. So the "tele" lens is just a tad longer than 35 mm normal.

17. Rorick Edge

The material that I’ve seen all says that it’s 52mm equivalent.

My understanding is that each focal length doubles the previous, so 13mm, 26mm, 52mm.

#17 Rorick Edge, Sep 12, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  18. Stephen Hart

No, sorry, I meant that the so-called "tele" lens is just a tad longer in focal length (at 52 mm equivalent) than what used to be "normal," 50mm, in days of yore, when I, at least, used 35 mm film cameras. And that the numbers agree, pretty accurately, with my FZ 2500.

As far as I have read, there are three distinct cameras on the iPhone 11 pro, so Apple may have chosen 13, 26 and 52 to make it easier for the software to manage, to have exact doubles.

Rorick Edge likes this.
  19. Stephen Hart

Hmm. Apple says the ultra wide camera does not have optical image stabilization. If I recall correctly, in the Freefly videos, they say that they wish Apple would eliminate the optical image stabilization, as that can cause jiggle when the camera is bumped.
    It will be interesting to see how this all pans out.

Marc Smith and Rorick Edge like this.
  20. Rorick Edge

I don’t own one of last year’s phones, but my recollection is that people found that the stabilization interfered less than on prior phones. There were discussions about this in this forum, which you may want to check out. That doesn’t affect your point, which is that there may be no conflict at all with the 13mm lens.

#20 Rorick Edge, Sep 13, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    Marc Smith likes this.