/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi XL & 1A Tool Wheels

Discussion in 'MōVI XL' started by Brian Rose, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Brian Rose

Brian Rose New Member

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has had trouble using the XL with the 1ATools Wheels and the Movi App. I am having a lot of trouble getting the XL to perform well without the Movi Controller. Should I have the controller and not just the app?

Brian

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

The app?

The Alpha Wheels need a transmitter\receiver to talk to the Movi. The Movi Controller can act as the Transmitter, or 1A makes an SBus XR module and an Alpha Link\Mimic Module that can do it, and there's also the ability to use a Spektrum DX7 as a transmitter. But you can't just have the wheels and the app, so maybe I don't understand what you're asking about?

3. Brian Rose

Brian Rose New Member

Thanks Graham for the response. I do have the SBus for the Alpha wheels but I'm still having trouble getting the XL to perform accurately. I am wondering if I have to have the Movi controller to make adjustments. For example, with the wheel speed, I have found that the setting under the Dual Op/Adjustments/Remote Tate Scale does adjust the speed of the pan and tilt, but the setting will only go to 97 and no further. I am wondering if the Movi controller will do better.

4. Graham Futerfas

Hmmm. Remote Rate Scale should go to 200. I've definitely had to turn it up for some shots with the SBus Module. I wonder why yours won't go past 97?

5. Brian Rose

Brian Rose New Member

I know, I need it to go faster but for some reason the app will only let me go to 97.... and the XL is still sluggish in response.

6. Graham Futerfas

Blackjack firmware?

7. Brian Rose

Brian Rose New Member

What's that?

8. Graham Futerfas

OK, under Tuning->Advanced, check your Max Control Rate. Supposedly overrides Remote Rate Scale in Dual Op mode.

9. Graham Futerfas

Blackjack is the latest Beta firmware, version 2.0.

10. Brian Rose

Brian Rose New Member

I see that on the app. I will try that tomorrow on set. Thanks! But one question, do you operate your XL with the controller or wheels. And do you find the head very "soft" and "sluggish" compared to other heads like the Active or Libra head?

11. Graham Futerfas

I'm mostly Movi Pro, but I've found you can dial up the Alpha Wheels to be pretty snappy if you want. I used to use the SBus XR, but I switched to Movi Controller in December because it enabled 360 Roll. Not that anyone seems to want me to use it... but I like the Roll Trim and additional capabilities of the Controller. The SBus has much less Pan drifting, though.

12. Brian Rose

Brian Rose New Member

I use the XL with the SBus XR and the last thing I would say is that my head is snappy. It's soft and not accurate at all. I'm really at a stand still on what to do. Plus the support at Movi is so slow.

13. Graham Futerfas

You need to figure out why you can't get above 100 on Remote Rate Scale. That would be the problem. 100 is default, and that can be kind of slow.

Also, check the Mode setting on your SBus receiver. I can't remember if it needs to be Mode 4 or 5, but that's something to check.

14. Brian Rose

Brian Rose New Member

I will do that tomorrow. Thanks so much for your help Graham. Hopefully I can get to the bottom of this problem. I'll post more questions and hopefully you will be able to help. Cheers!!

15. Graham Futerfas

One more thing: Make sure your Pan and Tilt Window, Smoothing, and Expo are set to Zero under Dual Op Settings.

16. Graham Futerfas

Hopefully you can figure it out. But the SBus XR is a great system, so I'm thinking it's a setting that's not right somewhere.

17. Brian Rose

Brian Rose New Member

Yes, those are set to Zero for sure.

18. Brian Rose

Brian Rose New Member

Is there a master reset on the XL? Do you think that would be a good idea?