/dist/images/branding/favicon

Vehicle Pan Follow

Discussion in 'MōVI XL' started by Luke Frederik, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Luke Frederik

Luke Frederik New Member

I have the XL mounted on the nose of a buggy, the operator controls it via transmitter (pan, tilt, roll)

However we want to be able to put it in follow mode, so that the operator doesn't need to Pan with the vehicle as it turns (at times). There are some cables which can only be twisted so much...

Any mode for this or way to get it to match heading of vehicle?

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

How closely does the panning need to follow the vehicle? You could try changing Heading Assist to Fixed Mount, and it will "Majestically" follow the panning of the vehicle. I think it might drive your Operator crazy though, because it will fight what he's doing in the frame a bit, and you can't adjust the window and smoothing of how much it responds to the turning of the vehicle, so it will always lag behind and slowly get back to center.

This is a suggestion that would work on Movi Pro, and I'm assuming Fixed Mount works the same on XL, but maybe it's different?

3. Luke Frederik

Luke Frederik New Member

The Pan only needs to follow within 45 degrees either side, it's mostly between takes as they reset through a bunch of turns. It's all day in the vehicle so as you can imagine it needs to be hands off when not shooting. Thanks for the suggestion will try it but like you mentioned if it is fighting the operator it's going to be a problem.

I'll contact FF and see what they can do!

4. Graham Futerfas

Depending on how much operating during turns, your operator may or may not notice it.

Are you using a Movi Controller to operate the head remotely? You might be able to switch Heading Assists from there, and turn it off when you need better control, or turn it on when you're resetting. I always find it more difficult on a Jib arm or crane, if we accidentally have it in Fixed mount. Depending on your firmware, switching Heading Assist can cause the gimbal to pan quickly away to a different direction on the switch, so test it carefully.

5. David Burgess

David Burgess New Member

Luke!
    I shoot a lot of car to car with the Flowcine Blackarm and MoVi Pro's....when we are turning 180 degrees or similar (to reset our run) I switch the controller to Majestic mode and then return to manual control once we are back and ready to shot....This obviates the need to watch the cables and allows for a period of hands off!
    I hope that helps!

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  6. Finn Norton

Finn Norton New Member

Hey Luke, I'm having this issue as well. Did you find a solution? I've tried a bunch of a different settings, fixed mount, compass, airborne mode etc, none of which seem to make the pan axis stay within the direction of the vehicle. It just holds whatever direction was last set by the controller.

7. Graham Futerfas

Fixed Mount should Pan with the vehicle... but maybe not at the rate that you'd like. There'll be a lag\delay.

8. Finn Norton

Finn Norton New Member

Thanks Graham, you're right it does! However, it's very slow. Is there a way to adjust the delay?

9. Graham Futerfas

10. Graham Futerfas

Switch to Majestic? Then you can control it better. And Movi Contoller should adjust tilt if you're in Tilt Lock.

11. Finn Norton

Finn Norton New Member

Okay, thank you again... sorry for the newb question, but how do I switch to majestic? I'm using Blackjack firmware and the beta app as well as the Movi Controller.

12. Graham Futerfas

The 3-way switch in the upper right hand of the Movi Controller will switch between Dual-Op\Majestic\Kill.

13. Finn Norton

Finn Norton New Member

Of course, but you then have no control input. I'm assuming that you can't have a hybrid majestic pan mode with the Movi controller?

14. Graham Futerfas

Hmmm.. Try turning on Tilt Lock instead of Tilt Majestic. With Alpha Wheels (my normal configuration) this would work... I think.

15. Finn Norton

Finn Norton New Member

Tilt lock doesn't seem to make a difference. With all the amazing options in Blackjack, I would have thought there would be a basic follow / majestic pan option when you have the Controller connected to the Movi and it mounted on a vehicle...

16. Graham Futerfas

You might need to switch to a different two-axis head. Movi Pro is amazing, but there are specific situations where you need a different tool.

17. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

On Movi XL, you can set the pan power to 0 and lock the pan axis with the knob. It has a play but, your key-grip can fix it by a powerful and big magic-arm. That's what we had to do on one occasion, where the pan had to turn with the car precisely.

Graham Futerfas likes this.