/dist/images/branding/favicon

Beta and Movi Wheels issues with Beta Heading Assist always on

Discussion in 'Movi Beta App' started by Dale McCready, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Dale McCready

Dale McCready Member

Hi all,

I have an issue I’m not getting a lot of help with. I’m hoping someone has some advice.

I have a 3 wheel set of Movi Wheels and they don’t really work on the stable firmware, which adds smoothing and expo to them so you’re often stuck bouncing past the frame you want. Freefly seems to require using the Beta with the wheels, but that’s not working as normal either.

On the beta, which hasn’t seemed to be updated in some time, the wheels work very directly, which is great but the Beta seems to have Heading Assist on all the time. It doesn’t matter what setting Heading Assist is on, it makes no difference. If you swing the Movi Pro on a crane or jib arm, it will try and follow that movement, meaning when you stop the crane move, there’s massive drift in the direction you were moving in.

The only way I’ve managed to reduce this is to turn the Movi Toad Hole mount to as near as possible to wherever I have to land a static shot but this isn’t ideal.

Maybe I should try setting a really wide majestic window? Just to trick it into not panning?

Does anyone know if there are any updates happening to the firmware at any point soon? I’ve emailed these issues through to Freefly but never get a response about it. I’m quite heavily invested in Movi Pro on my productions, and I fight to get the Movi in the camera kit, but I’m looking pretty silly not being able to use the stable firmware or the beta with Wheels at the moment without looking looking like my operating is bad.

Maybe time to divest and go for a R2? Or just go back to the stable firmware and get a set of Alpha Wheels instead?

2. Robert MCgregor

Robert MCgregor New Member

Hi Dale, did you get anywhere with this?

3. Dale McCready

Dale McCready Member

Hi,

Yes they were pretty helpful really. I'm running some different software on the Movi at the moment with a drift control feature in Alpha. I feel it's a good step in the right direction, but it would be also great to just have an absolute "crane mode", where the gimbal stablises totally unless receiving input from the aux channels of pan tilt and roll. Most of the time I understand why you have the trade off of assit and stablising, but on a crane it should just sit where you leave it unless told otherwise.

4. Deniz Ozgoren

Deniz Ozgoren Support Mage
    Staff Member

Crane
    There might be some misunderstanding here. Movi always tries to "totally" stabilize, however, this is a very difficult technical challenge. Over the years Freefly has come up with software innovations to make it better. With Blackjack, automatic Drift Assist feature is a brand new innovation, which in summary does what you wrote above. It "sits" until there is commanded input, which is not a common behavior with digital gimbals unless you use very expensive fiber optic gyros. However, one issue is that this feature can be tricked with cranes to think it is sitting on a stationary surface since cranes can move super slow and smooth. There will be a public update that introduces "crane" mode, which makes the Drift Assist algorithm work better for this specific scenario.

Beta
    While Blackjack brings many improvements for Wheels, you don't necessarily need them to have a smooth operation. Here are some details for you.
    • With Blackjack The MōVI Wheels now automatically sets pan/tilt joystick settings to zeros for the most responsive feel. Without Blackjack, you can do this manually under App>Configurations>Dual Op>Adjustments
    • With Blackjack Autotune v3 with higher default Hold Strengths makes the Movi feel more rigid. If you don't have Blackjack, you might not be able to set hold strengths super high, but you can still set them around 15-25
    • With Blackjack, you can enable Maniac Mode. This is useful for heavier payloads. Without Maniac mode, even if you have high hold strengths, motors might not be able to keep up with commanded motion.
    • With Blackjack, you can use Wheels to control the roll axis

5. Steven Deneault

Steven Deneault New Member

I can not get my MōVI pro to hold pan position while on a crane or dolly. It will be fine at the start then start drifting when I move the camera. Very frustrating.

6. Dale McCready

Dale McCready Member

Hi do make sure you’re on the latest beta software app and on the Movi. There is the drift assist setting in general-expert which you can switch to crane mode. It works very well.

7. Steven Deneault

Dale!!
    Is this for real?! I’m up to date I believe with all my firmware (v2.01 b44). But I don’t see this setting in my beta app. Under general/expert I see nothing like this. Only the usual heading assist, compass etc.
    But I’ll double check my MōVI is up to date tomorrow (we’ve wrapped for the day).

Thanks in advance
    Steve.

8. Dale McCready

Dale McCready Member

Yeah I had the same thing, I had to delete and Re install TestFlight and then the latest version showed up.

9. Steven Deneault

Will do, thanks! I’ll post my results ASAP when I get to work tomorrow to try this out.

Steve

10. Steven Deneault

Morning Dale,
    Did you also delete the movi beta app when you deleted TestFlight app? Because I still don’t see any new options after deleting and reinstalling TestFlight.