/dist/images/branding/favicon

Audio recording to lighting jack

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Stephen Brown, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Stephen Brown

Stephen Brown New Member

I've been experimenting with a Rode Video Mic Pro + with a SC4 connector (TRS-TRSS) + lighting adapter to try to record higher quality sound on a 7 Plus. I've read that input thru the lightning is notoriously crappy and found the same to be true with my setup. This is true whether I use the IOS camera app, Filmic Pro, Movi app, or iRig Recorder app. The only solution I found is to start recording and THEN plug in the lighting jack. Not every elegant.

Does anyone else have this problem? Has anyone found better solutions? Or is audio input just gunna have to wait? And for the Freefly folks out there, are you planning to add more robust audio level monitoring to the app or are you also thinking audio is best into another device? Thanks...

2. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

I sometimes record via a DPA mike > a DPA d:vice > a USB to Lightning cable > an iPhone. It works very well, so there is nothing inherently problematic about a Lightning connection.

However, the whole point of DPA’s d:vice is that it replaces the iPhone’s analogue to digital converter and preamp, which results in considerably better sound than you’ll get from a direct connection from a mike to an iPhone.

There are apparently a good number of people recording to an iPhone mounted on a Movi, but personally I’ve decided to record to a separate device. Options include a stand-alone recorder, a second iPhone and an iPod. I’ve set out some of the reasons for my decision in a thread yesterday on setting up and using the Movi Hoodie: https://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/setting-up-using-the-movi-hoodie.12380/

#2 Rorick Edge, Jun 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  3. Michel Ulmann

Michel Ulmann New Member

I'm shooting videos for a large global bank with the iPhone X and Filmic Pro all the time. For interviews I'm using the Sennheiser AVX system connected via the Rode SC4 cable and the Apple Lightning Adapter (in case there is only a single take or we are at a noisy location, I also add the Rode SC6 in between so I can monitor the audio directly). Since I added the Movi to the mix, I'm also testing a few shotgun microphones like the Rode Videomic Pro+, but I currently still prefer to add the AVX to the Hoodie and use the MKE2 lapel or 835 handheld microphone depending on the location we are filming. I never had an issue with recoding audio via the Lightning port.

Rorick Edge likes this.
  4. Rorick Edge

Rorick Edge Active Member

Hi Michel,

So I gather that you’re mounting the AVX receiver on the Hoodie and running cable and an adapter from there to the iPhone.

When interviewing a person, what is the role of the Movi? Is it essentially being used to replace a tripod?

For those who aren’t familiar with Sennheiser’s AVX system, B&H has a video that covers all of the components Michel refers to, including the AVX-MKE2 and AVX-835 mikes:

#4 Rorick Edge, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  5. Michel Ulmann

Michel Ulmann New Member

@Rorick Edge: Yes, I also have the counterweight installed as I use the Moment Wide Lens (currently trying to rebalance with the filter mount that finally arrived), so the lightning adapter can be routed trough the top hole of the counterweight and the SC4 cable through the cable clamp for the gimbal arm (provided with the counterweight).

I'm using the Movi, because during events and in some locations there is just no way or time to setup a tripod. In the past I used the DJI Osmo Mobile 1 & 2 for this but the Movi is just superior when it comes to control, quality and versatility. I'm even considering it now in cases I actually have a tripod and let Movi take care of the levelling.

Rorick Edge likes this.
  6. Rick Bronks

Rick Bronks Active Member

I've experimented with the AVX too - in the setup as described and works well.

Sennheiser also make a clip mic - which has a lighting plug so if you wanted to use a lav - perhaps if you're doing a vlog, then this works great. The cable isn't so long but the mic quality is excellent.

I have the Rode iXLR which is lighting to XLR - and there's a head phone monitor socket so you can have a listen to the sound coming I off the mic. Obviously you can't hear the sound coming through the phone.. but it's better than nothing.

With the iXLR the issue would be the box and wire - it's got a nice long wire but as other posts have commented it might not play that nicely with the gimbal motors.

The AVX and small Rode adapter and the lighting to 3.5mm jack is still the most elegant even though it's a bit of a mishmash with all the adapters.

Other option - get a little Zoom recorder and use that then sync in post.

John Chu and Rorick Edge like this.
  7. Larry V Santana

Larry V Santana New Member

Hi Michel. How does the Movi handle the extra weight of the filter mount? I'm interested in purchasing the mount. Have you had any problems with balance when calibrating the gimbal? Thanks.

8. Michel Ulmann

Michel Ulmann New Member

The Movi handles it without any issues (I guess Freefly didn't specify a load limit, because the motors can handle way more than an iPhone X with Moment lenses and filters). I currently have all counterweights installed, but will try to reduce them in the next days until I can't get it to balance anymore.

9. Larry V Santana

Larry V Santana New Member

Thanks so much for the information, Michel. I really appreciate it.

10. Frank Algermissen

Frank Algermissen Active Member

ELLIOT likes this.
  11. Stephen Hart

Stephen Hart Active Member

Another cord-free option is the Shure VP83F Shotgun. I got one free with my latest "real" camera, a Panasonic Lumix FZ2500. It can plug in as usual, or can record on its own to a micro SD card. It's fairly large, so would need to be mounted on a Movi Hoody or on a mount attached to the bottom tripod mount.

I also have a Shure MV88, which plugs directly into the Lightning port. I haven't tried it with the Movi yet, but it seems like it'd be no more in the way than the counterweights. Or you could use that mic with an Apple certified Lightning extension cord.

[Later]
    I just checked the Shure MV88 out, and it won't work in the Movi plugged directly in. I can balance the iPhone Xs with the mic, but it is up against the tilt motor. And with a cord, you'd need a way to mount the mic.

#11 Stephen Hart, May 10, 2019
    Last edited: May 10, 2019
  12. Jason Fish

Jason Fish New Member

I've mounted the MV88+ to a cold shoe on top of the Movi handle, works pretty well. My only want is a MFi-certified cable with a 90* bend on the Lightning side. The included cable can rub against the Movi, causing noise.

#12 Jason Fish, May 14, 2019
    Last edited: May 14, 2019
  13. Stephen Hart

14. Jason Fish

Jason Fish New Member

Yes, they're completely different bodies.

There are a ton of right-angle cables out there. I've tried two cables and two T-splitters, all of which allow for charging and audio out, none of which provide audio in. But this one does specifically mention mics. Hmm....

15. Stephen Hart

I made a DIY cold shoe mount for the MV88, mostly as an exercise in tinkering.
    https://eugraph.com/misc/mv88mount.html
    If one wanted to use this with a Movi CR, as Jason Fish noted
    "My only want is a MFi-certified cable with a 90* bend on the Lightning side. The included cable can rub against the Movi, causing noise."
    So you need a very flexible, and probably think Lightning extension cable. A right angle plug would help. And an add-on lens with counterweights would complicate matters considerably.
    So the better solution, I think, is the Shure VP83F Shotgun, which can record independently.

16. ELLIOT

ELLIOT New Member

All of you are way ahead of me on this subject. I was not totally concerned because I have been adding sound track after the fact. But I recently got the Movi and I am using it with an Ipnone XR and Moment lenses. When I started using it I found that I was picking up considerable motor noise through the phones mic.

I recently learned on this forum, which I just joined that I was not alone with this problem. The solution was to bypass the camera mic auto gain by allowing the use of an external mic. I then found a temporary mic solution on Youtube. Use the Apple airpods or Beats pods which are both Bluetooth, with the Filmic pro app. In audio I select bluetooth mic, the camera finds the pods, and now I am recording without motor noise and getting the added benefit of hearing what is being recorded.

17. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Elliot, welcome to the forum.

If it's not too much trouble, would you be kind enough to change your user name to your real first name and last name, please? The reasons for this (and how to do it) are explained here: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/real-names.497/

Thanks
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert