/dist/images/branding/favicon

Ninja modes how to...

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Joe Chott, May 7, 2019.

1. Joe Chott

Joe Chott New Member

I need some down to earth instruction on how to use modes like Echo, Barrel Roll, and Orbit. I watched the videos provided by Freefly, but to be honest, they felt like the design process for those videos went like this: “Ok, shoot an instructional video for how to do this mode. Good, you did it. Oh, no, cut that down to be 1\10 that long... Ok, good, let’s see what you got. No, cut that down to be half as long. Ok, you have it? No, no, we want to get as close to ten seconds long as possible, try again!”, lol.

Anyway, for someone NOT experienced with fancy video camera moves, is there a website with some actual BASIC, ground level instruction on how to achieve this kind of stuff?

Thanks! :)

-Joe

2. Stephen Hart

Stephen Hart Active Member

You could try watching the long video series, starting here:

Joe Chott likes this.
  3. Joe Chott

Joe Chott New Member

Thank you very much for this link! I’ve been studying it, and there is a lot of information in it, but some of it is confusing as to how they made it work.

For example, at the 10:40 mark in the video, they give a demonstration of how they can arbitrarily change the orientation of the phone angle and it is retained so that they can then film from that orientation as they move. When I try to do this, if I grab the phone and change the orientation, when I let go, the Movi will return the phone to the original orientation, it isn’t retained like in the video.

So how do I accomplish what they are doing?

Thanks!

-Joe

4. Stephen Hart

Stephen Hart Active Member

I think in that spot on the video they are in Majestic and have Tilt locked. That works for me at least on my desk. I can move the Movi and the tilt remains the same.

I thought I remembered that at some point in the long videos they showed locking roll, to get a canted frame as in noir movies, but I don't remember how to set that up. I'm just a beginner; maybe a more experienced user or engineer can help with that.

[I learned this is called Dutch Angle, from early German cinema. Conversion of "Deutsch" German to "Dutch."
    Deutsch angle —> Dutch angle
    Pennsylvania Deutsch —>Pennsylvania Dutch]

#4 Stephen Hart, May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 25, 2019