/dist/images/branding/favicon

Battery loses power when Movi not in use for awhile

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Shana Allan, May 3, 2019.

1. Shana Allan

Shana Allan New Member

Hello, I use my MCR but not often. I've learned that even if I fully charge it up after using it down to zero and put it away, the next time I go to use it again there is battery life loss on the power indicator. It's either at half power or one indicator light lit up..depending on how long it sits before I put it use again. I use it maybe once every two months..so I'm not an avid user just yet as I've not much to video at the moment.

I was wondering if this happens to any others and their Movi's too?

Thanks,
    Shana

2. Stephen Hart

Stephen Hart Active Member

Not a Movi expert by any means, but:
    Modern lithium batteries do not need to be run down before charging. All the recommendations I've seen for several years say to just charge when convenient. I bought a pair of batteries from Freefly, and a USB charger that'll work at home or in my car.

My Movi has been sitting unused for a few days and has exactly the same number of battery-status lights that it did when I turned it off. Are you sure you aren't leaving it on or sleeping?

3. Shana Allan

Shana Allan New Member

It’s completely off and sitting unused for weeks at a time. When I turn it on after it’s been sitting off and unused it’s down to one, maybe two light bars.

This last time I pulled it out to used it after it sat for months and it had one light bar and lasted about 20 mins before it died. If I used it every few days I probably wouldn’t have this dilemma. Mine sits off for quite a while in between uses. It just confuses me that a battery not in use would drain like that.

4. Bryan Edmonds

Bryan Edmonds Chief Mōvi Whisperer

This is considered parasitic drain. If you store the Movi with the batteries installed, there is a very slight drain from the contact between the battery and the Movi. You even see this in other consumer electronics like cell phones, tablets, cameras, etc. If you power them down and store them for months with the battery installed, they will lose charge while sitting.

If your Movi (or any other electronic device) is going to sit for weeks or more, we highly recommend removing the batteries.

5. Warathanut Sukcharoenpong

I have experienced this problem too.

6. Pavel Houda

Pavel Houda Member

Battery energy leakage is normal with any battery technology, even just sitting around in the device. The charging and other circuits have a finite impedance, causing usually minute drain that adds up with time and drains the charge. Unless the product cuts off the circuits with relay (which is never used in this type of product), there will be substantial long term loss of charge. If I really need to store batteries for a long time, I remove them from the device, put them in sealed plastic bags and keep them in refrigerator (NOT freezer) to prevent external drain and to slow down any internal chemical reactions.

#6 Pavel Houda, Jun 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    Bryan Edmonds likes this.