/dist/images/branding/favicon

Radian pan won't initialize

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Mark Melville, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Mark Melville

Mark Melville Member

Just when I thought I had this wrapped project wrapped up and ready to actually bring on set I have some problems.

This is out of the blue. My Radian pan won't initialize. It slowly blinks green. I've hooked up the Freefly USB and I can establish contact. This morning I put the Radian in factory default mode and then rewrote the pan setting. Still blinks and won't initialize. Last night I tried reinstalling the firmware. It goes into firmware mode but the software won't connect to the Radian.

Further I have no control over any of the axis from my Graupner mx 16. None of the settings that worked the other day work now. I noticed that for some reason that the radio had lost it's sum0 settings and reset that. I did this before work this morning so I didn't have the time to see if the TX radio has re-established control.

Another thing if I pick up the CS8 and pitch it around, tilt and roll do compensate so I am getting feedback from at least the tilt and roll radian's.

I think because they are daisy chained through the pan radian, the pan radian is creating issues down the line to the other radians.

Any ideas why the pan radian will not initialize or how to make it initialize?

2. Mark Melville

Mark Melville Member

One other thing. I am able to program the pan radian and it seems to take the programming but does not initialize upon power up.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Mark:
    The slow green blink usually means that the Radian's Mode control is Off.
    Can you connect up to it with the Radian software, click Read, and then take a screen shot of the Diagnostic and Configuration Window so we can see what's going on?

Specifically, I'd like to see what the Mode slider bar in the Diagnostic Window is doing.

Thanks
    Andy

4. Mark Melville

Mark Melville Member

Will do. As of last night I have no mode control. I have to go out but I'l post in a couple of hours. We have a late call because we're shooting nights so I'll be up for a while. (9 hours difference) Love Portland by the way did 2 movies there.

Also I'm using a cheapo Canon for video tests until they deliver my GH3. It has a mini-jack A/V out. I would only need two wires going to my Stinger. Yellow (video), Black (ground) for video signal correct? As well as power which is separate of course

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hmm. What changed I wonder? Bad cable? Loose cable?

I'm too old for that! :)

Yeah. It's a pretty nice place to be. Let me know if you come to town again.

You're absolutely correct. I fret somewhat about not using twisted/shielded cable for the video signal. Must remember to experiment with that.

Andy.

6. Mark Melville

Mark Melville Member

Andy here's the screen shot That mode slider bar is doing nothing no matter where I flip the switch. I have mode addressed to 5and 2 on slew just like before this nonsense started when everythibg worked fine.

Radian Screen Shot.JPG

7. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

Green LED slow blink = Motor drive off (or drive initialization failure) have you tried pulling all the wires out and and just using the usb to program the pan module and see what happens??
    then plug back you servo wire hang it or lift it up and initialize

8. Mark Melville

Mark Melville Member

Got it sorted out!!!!!!!!!!!! I reset the sum0 this morning, came home from work, plugged everything in to see if that resolved the problem and nothing. Played around trying to get something and then out of curiosity I checked the Data View and saw that sum0 was off!!! Turned it on and viola! We have regained control. Had to reprogram the Radian's but that's okay.

Now if I can sort this video business that will be the last obstacle to getting this animal in working condition.

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Well done, Mark. I wonder why the Tx/Rx lost SUMO?? I had an MX-20/GR-24 come "unbound" last week. No idea why. Re-bound then and all was well, but I still don't know what caused it.

There are quite a few "chains" of things that have to be working right and the only diagnostic strategy that seems to be effective is to work backwards up the chain.

Andy.

10. Ulf Grünbaum

Ulf Grünbaum New Member

I'm hijacking this thread since I have a similar, but not identical problem. Programming of PAN-Radian (Spectrum sattelite) goes without problem and the unit and servo behaves as expected - for a short while. It responds to pan movement, stick input and mode change. Then it just freezes and I get "Green LED slow blink = Motor drive off (or drive initialization failure)". After restart everything works OK again, but after some provocation from stick or cameraship movement it shuts of the output again.

I've replaces the servo, the resistor, and even the Radian unit without improvement. A friend suggested voltage drop, but I've checked the output voltage from the BEC while turning the pan, and it stays at a stable 6 volts. The roll and tilt units work OK.

Any tip is appreciated.

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Ulf:
    If you connect up the Radian software to the Pan sensor, Connect and do a Read, can you monitor the Diagnostic and Configuration window? Can you actually see the failure occurring? I'd be curious to know what the Mode indicator is doing in the Diagnostic window.

You can also use the Radian software channel monitor to see what's going on. It almost sounds like an electrical noise problem, but that's pure speculation.

Hope this helps
    Andy.

12. Mark Melville

Mark Melville Member

I'm using ppm and I've had this problem as well. On several occasions the pan Radian just stops working. Doesn't happen to tilt and roll, only pan. Once you shut down and reboot it works fine. Never been able to figure out why it does this.

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Can you also verify that you have upgraded the Radian firmware to version 1.03 please, Ulf.

Thanks
    Andy

14. Mark Melville

Mark Melville Member

I upgraded all the Radians to 1.3. Let me check and need to be reinstall that on the Pan Radian.

15. Edward Chegodaev

Edward Chegodaev New Member

Mark, you have overcome your problem related to the instability of the module efficiency Radian, which is set for an axis pan?
    I had a similar problem and I think I totally won.

Tim Foster likes this.
  16. Mark Melville

Mark Melville Member

All the axis work properly. We're trying to get it up in the air so we can run some stability tests but th weathers been quite bad maybe tomorrow.