/dist/images/branding/favicon

Can any of you comment on the bag?

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Pavel Houda, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Pavel Houda

Pavel Houda Member

D8E9E84E-F8E7-43AA-B3CD-135C50EAF71F.jpeg I will be traveling overseas and am looking at this bag: Peak Design Everyday Sling 5L (Camera Bag). I don’t want to drag anything too large and heavy. Can any one of you comment on it? Looks great, but I would like to see that it protects filters, while not being too bulky or heavy. Is there anything you would recommend? Thank you.

Darell Sison likes this.
  2. James Croisdale

James Croisdale New Member

@Pavel Houda I can't comment on that particular bag as Ive not used it, but it does look good in the pics. All i will say from my own recent experience is that while having a bag where everything packs into it's own neat compartment is neat, it can all fall apart in the heat of the battle :) I used a Nikon camera bag of similar size with pouches and pockets, but I think next time out I will use a bigger holdall with everything thrown in the same large compartment with plenty room to fish about for what you need. With one arm busy holding the MCR and trying not to miss a shot, I only had one arm to reach for attachments, and getting past flaps and velcro wasn't too easy! Maybe use that bag for transport, and then have a bigger bag for actual filming?

Pavel Houda likes this.
  3. Pavel Houda

Pavel Houda Member

Thanks James, excellent advice. Makes lot of sense. Could you recommend an example?

4. James Croisdale

James Croisdale New Member

@Pavel Houda Nothing in particular - not got one myself as yet. But just a simple plain small/medium holdall with a good padded shoulder strap. In the UK there are some nice examples in the Army surplus market - don't know what it's like in the USA. Bust basically, when all the stuff is chucked in the bottom of the bag, you want it all in one layer on the bottom, rather than being piled on top of each other, if you know what I'm saying? Then everything is easy to lay your hands on.

Pavel Houda likes this.
  5. Darell Sison

Darell Sison Member

I love Peak Design products, ideally that bag is in my wish list. However it wont fit an ipad pro 11 which is my combo for editing. I will certainly await comments here for some more recommendations.

#5 Darell Sison, Apr 29, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    Pavel Houda likes this.
  6. Robert Keyes

Robert Keyes New Member

Pavel, I have the 5L Peak Design bag - from my use of it, it's a little on the small size, especially when it comes to filter protection. But then again, it's currently holding my BMPCC4k setup, which is a little large to begin with.

If you're planning on traveling withe Movi Cinema Robot, I'd keep it in its foam case and get the Kalamajar (I think it's called that? Kalama-something) bag from F-Stop. It's a tiny bit bigger but a couple of my friends swear by it.

Pavel Houda likes this.
  7. Pavel Houda

Pavel Houda Member

Thank you for the lead Robert. Personal reference is always the best. I will certainly follow up. That Black Magic can grow fast, specially with lenses and other accessories. Looks like the Kalamaja is $20 cheaper than the Peak Design 5L on Amazon. Kalamaja is a tiny city district in Tallinn, Estonia.

I was thinking that I screw the filters together, cover them with metal end caps and put it all in lens foam rubber lens covers. Filter handling is such a pain, there is certainly a room for opportunity. The bags are usually too large. The (usually) plastic covers they come in take too much space, the other bags are huge and often seem to attract dust too much. I will try the stacking, and (better) take the lens wrenches with me, I suppose.

8. Robert Keyes

Robert Keyes New Member

What I've done in the past as a quick and dirty method of taking multiple filters with me is to get a bunch of neoprene foam (for 77mm circular filters, I use 100mm squares of foam, 3mm thick), put a filter in between each layer and then duct tape 5 of the 6 sides to create a kind of fist-sized multi pack of filters that are held in mild compression, kept relatively clean of dust/grime and are fairly well protected against impact. It's not an ideal system by any means, but cheap enough to not worry about and hardy enough to be bashed around for a while.

Stacking lenses, I always put a tiny dab of very light (dow33) grease on the threads as I will inevitably forget my wrench.

Pavel Houda likes this.
  9. Pavel Houda

Pavel Houda Member

Excellent ideas! I will definitely try to make the foam neoprene holder. Intuitively it sounds like it will work well. I am feeling good about this first time in a long while. I really appreciate this.

I was feeling concerned about the speed of taking the filters apart, taking one out from the middle of the bunch. Yours is way better method, I am sure.

I have been putting on some gun lubricant that I found around. It has a capillary nozzle, so it dispenses just enough for nature do the spreading, but I have always nightmare about the filters seizing, specially after flight, temperature and atmospheric pressure changes in flight.

10. Chris_Bernard

Chris_Bernard New Member

The other bag mentioned is the Kalamaja by F-Stop. It's a 7-liter bag so it will have more room. I have the Peak 5L and I love it. It's not really big enough to carry a Movi with a fully built up kit (Phone, moment lens, filters) But it's a perfect fit for a Movi and typical moment gear. It's also a bag you can "work" out of. So it's easy to shoot and have it with you and get easy access to lens to swap out etc.

I find the weight balancing such a giant pain in the ass with my Movi that I've taken to using my Movi with the Polar Pro clip-on system most of the time with an iPhone XS. It's very simple to run and gun with that setup. Although I do find balancing the anamorphic with the filter system and standard Movi weights is doable.

This bag is also big enough for a very lean A7III kit. I use the Peak Clip on the outside of the bag to hang my camera when shooting as well. I find it can hold my camera, with an RRS camera plate a Sony 70-200 F4 and Tamron 28-75. It's tight and I can't fit anything else in there but it's a super discrete case when I'm just going to shoot the kids or traveling. It's my main bag for gear right now and I'm usually taking the Movi/Moment or the A7III but not both.

This bag shines the most when you are doing something active. You can hike, climb rocks and wear this like a fanny pack if needed and not be too worried about your gear while also keeping it out of the way.

11. Stephen Hart

Stephen Hart Active Member