/dist/images/branding/favicon

RIP BATTERY

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Michael McWilliams, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Michael McWilliams

Michael McWilliams New Member

Used my CR once just to test it briefly upon purchase. Had a gig I was planning to utilize it for and plugged it in to charge it the night before. Woke up to a lifeless Movi :eek:

Note: Because the Movi didn't come with a wall USB adapter my assumption was that I should charge it off of my desktop Mac :( I didn't read until after my device was dead (Still is) that the computer isn't recommended for charging.

I just ordered new batteries. Hopefully, that does the trick otherwise I'll be really bummed if the entire unit is blown. Anyone have a similar experience? Or have any idea on what might have happened?

2. Andre Yew

Andre Yew New Member

The computer shouldn't have killed the Movi. Computer ports usually aren't recommended because many can't supply the necessary current to charge large batteries at any reasonable rate. Have you tried plugging the MCR into a USB charging plug? I've been using an Anker I got off Amazon.

3. Pavel Houda

Pavel Houda Member

I seriously doubt that you would kill the batteries by charging from computer. There are usually many protection circuits to prevent explosions, fires etc. specially with lithium batteries. You probably didn't charge the batteries (USB-C has a software protocol specially complicated because it is bi-directional). Get a decent USB-A AC adapter and use USB-A to USB-C cable. Your supplied cable maybe bad. I had experiences of problems with USB-C to USB-C. Like Andre suggested, try a wall adapter and or new cable first. If that doesn't work, contact Firefly.

4. Michael McWilliams

Thanks so much guys! Yeah, so I used the USB to USB-C from the computer and from the wall. I trouble shot the cable itself with my Bowers and Wilkens headphones and it worked perfectly. The MCR is completely zonked still, no lights, nothing. I'll get the adapter and new cable now and see if that does the trick. You guys are great. I'll report back

5. Michael McWilliams

Also, what battery type are these? I've never seen them before

6. Pavel Houda

Pavel Houda Member

When you are charging, the white LEDs should be on or flashing. If you remove the battery and plug in the charger, you should see the LED on the left flashing red. If you have phone or other device with USB-C, plug your charger and cable in to make sure there is power getting out of the cable. If you are supplying power but the MCR does nothing, time to contact Freefly. I assume you are still in warranty period.

#6 Pavel Houda, Apr 18, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  7. Michael McWilliams

Hey! That's great to know about taking the batteries out. I'll try that this evening. I should get new batteries today as well.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

It may also be relevant to point out that not all USB cables are created alike -- some only do data, no power. So testing a USB cable with headphones may not tell you whether the cable also has the connections for power.

@Michael: I'm curious to know how long you left the MCR between when you first tested it and when you went to use it? I'm trying to determine whether the batteries have an internal self-discharge or whether there is a small current drain even when the MCR is powered off.

Thanks
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limitâ„¢
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

9. Michael McWilliams

@andy It's likely, I left it on.

10. Michael McWilliams

Also, I got new batteries yesterday and the Movi has charged. That said, It doesn't seem to want to connect to my phone or stay connected to my phone :( This is again a bummer. Going to begin troubleshooting this.

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

"Oh," he said, faintly. :)

12. Warathanut Sukcharoenpong

Did you update the firmware?

13. Deniz Ozgoren

Deniz Ozgoren Support Mage
    Staff Member

Sounds like Michael got helped by the technical support team and issue is resolved!