/dist/images/branding/favicon

Possible compass issue

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Ben Kumanovski, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Ben Kumanovski

Ben Kumanovski New Member

I have a M15 that I think might have a compass issue and I’m wondering if recalibrating the compass is what I need to do? Here’s why:

Yesterday I mounted my Movi on a car rig and controlled it’s tilt and pan with the DX9 remote.

This was a test drive around the block. I had the camera centered on the road and the car was heading west so therefore the camera was facing east. But when we turned the corner to head south the Movi all by self remained facing east, rather than turning with the car and facing north. Using the remote I could correct it’s position by panning, but why did it happen in the first place? Is it a compass issue or some other setting that needs adjusting?

Another thing I noticed in this mode was a slow pan drift. I seem to be able to slow it right down using the roll/pan fine tune adjustment on the remote, but it doesn’t stop it completely. Any thoughts?

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

First, the Movi is performing normally in this situation, but if you want it to follow the motion of the car, you could try turning Heading Assist to "Off". Then it will Pan as the car takes a turn, BUT: it will pan Majestically, and will be delayed behind the turn of the car, which is kind of annoying and useless. You can't adjust the "Majestic" settings of this reaction like you normally could when in Majestic mode handheld.

In Compass mode, the Movi is using its Compass to hold its heading, no matter what the Toad in the Hole is telling it. This is actually very useful if you're on a moving platform, like a Drone\UAS, but trying to shoot something else, like a building or landscape, and want to be able to have a steady shot of that even if the drone is wobbling about in the air to maintain position or fly a certain heading. It's not very useful for mounting to the hood of the car and trying to shoot the driver or passenger.

The Pan drift should be correctable on the DX9, but I'm not an expert on that controller. One thing you could try is go into your Dual Op settings and set a small Window on the Pan joystick and see if that helps. The Movi should ignore small input from the joystick, which I find helps to reduce any drift that's being induced from the stick. I know the Movi Controller has a Drift Trim adjustment for Pan and Tilt that I can assign to a couple of knobs, but not sure if that's available somewhere on the DX9.

3. Ben Kumanovski

Ben Kumanovski New Member

@Graham thanks for that. I’ll try turning heading assist off and see how that goes.

4. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

What is the shot you're trying to achieve? The Movi may or may not be the best platform to work with, depending on what you need.