/dist/images/branding/favicon

Settings for vehicle rigs?

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Rick Gerard, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Rick Gerard

Rick Gerard Active Member

I am having difficulty nailing down the right settings for my MoVI pro when I attach it to a stabilizing arm on a car rig. The vibration isolator is now tuned well, and the mount and arm are also tuned well, but I'm having problems holding pan and tilt. Roll is perfect unless I turn on Compass Heading assist, then the camera slowly rolls, usually to the right and I end up with a horizon that is 5º or 10º off in just a few minutes.

The payload is about the same weight as an Alexa Mini or Red package, the balance is perfect, and Autotune by the App is usually set between 55 and 57 for the car rig. If I stiffen up the vibration isolator I can increase the Autotune to 65 or 70 but the high-frequency vibrations are not dealt with as well with the stiffer setting.

What kind of settings are you using for Hold Strength? What about Jolt Rejection? I've played with Jolt Rejection a bunch and I can't see much of a difference in the behavior of the MoVI.

I'm also not seeing much of an improvement when I change Anti Slap or Accel (acceleration I assume) Settings. There is no info is available in the app so I'm not really sure what they do.

I am really hoping that the Compass / Roll problem will get corrected in the next build. The Movi seems to perform a lot better for the first few minutes with Compass turned on until the roll problem starts.

I hope someone that does a lot of vehicle rigging chimes in. My shots are not as perfect as I would like them to be. To be honest, if I put on a 20mm lens and compare the footage I get to DJI Osmo footage down the same bumpy road with the Osmo just suction cup mounted to the windshield, the Osmo is giving me a shot with fewer pan and tilt problems that need correction in post.

Here is a video I posted on Facebook showing the first test of my car rig.

#1 Rick Gerard, Apr 8, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    jim mundell likes this.
  2. Deniz Ozgoren

Deniz Ozgoren Support Mage
    Staff Member

*Assuming you have Blackjack, since it sounds like it.

Roll is perfect unless I turn on Compass Heading assist, then the camera slowly rolls, usually to the right and I end up with a horizon that is 5º or 10º off in just a few minutes.

Autotune 70
    • 70% is usually on the higher end we get better results with 60%

What kind of settings are you using for Hold Strength? What about Jolt Rejection?
    • The recommended range is 15-60. Blackjack default is 30. When you enable Maniac Mode, it automatically gets increased to 60. If you are getting oscillations due to mechanical setup, lowering hold strengths could help.

I'm also not seeing much of an improvement when I change Anti Slap or Accel (acceleration I assume) Settings. There is no info is available in the app so I'm not really sure what they do.
    • Highly recommended not playing with settings that you are unsure about, especially on set. I've seen many cases where people enable a bunch of settings thinking it would help, which in most cases were the other way around.
    • Anti-slap allows MōVI to continue from its current pan angle when an absolute command comes. For instance, if you disabled anti-slap, every time you turn on MIMIC, MōVI would jump to MIMIC's position, thus resulting in a "slap" :D. Accel setting limits the acceleration of MōVI from commanded inputs. If you set it to slow, you'll see that MōVI Controller inputs will take time to build up and slow down. This setting behind the scenes allows different MōVIs (XL vs Pro) behave similarly. Recommending to keep this at fast. Slow might have some side effects with different setting combinations.

If you are still having issues
    • There is a bugfix coming for "roll goes off when panning" symptom that few people experienced with Blackjack app. Root cause was loading a configuration file from the app to MōVI. If you are experiencing this symptom, you should "reset robot settings". There shouldn't be any further problems using the updated version of the app that will be released this week.
    • Additionally, one important thing to check is if the MōVI Pro is getting sustained high-frequency vibrations. This can cause the attitude to get off.

Becca Ulmo likes this.
  3. Rick Gerard

Thank you so much for the information. Looking forward to the update later this week.

4. Marcus Gelhard

Marcus Gelhard New Member

Hello, i also have a problem on a car.

everythign works except on bumby roads i get a left to right wiggle. mostly when the arm has a lot to do because of a bigger bumb.
    But it's only on the pan axis. I tried different hold strenght as you can see in the video.
    But not really a difference.

Any idea which settings i can tune to get rid of this?
    I autotuned with 55.

I also tried maniac mode. no difference.

thanks
    Marcus

5. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Maybe you can try incorporating some Jolt Rejection into the higher hold strengths?

Oli Harris likes this.
  6. Rick Gerard

I think you are getting some parallax shifting because the camera is swinging side to side. That is corrected by the dampers on the arm. You should probably also have compass assist turned off. The hardest part of doing vehicle rigging is tuning the mount, not Tuning the Movie. If you can run down the street with the Movi and get acceptable results the car rig will work just fine if the arm and the isolator are properly tuned.

Graham Futerfas likes this.