/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi Pro P-tap ports?

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by steve green, Mar 31, 2019.

1. steve green

steve green Member

Hi, I switched over to TB-50's and am having power issues with powering a Teradek Bolt 1000 from the P-tap which is behind the MP display. My setup: Red Monstro, (powered off CAM Power P-tap), Nucleus-M, two motors, (powered off 12v. ACC P-tap), and the Teradek Bolt (powered off the upper P-tap). The Teradek is intermittent with regard to power, it's in and out. I even tried to power the Bolt directly off the 24v TB-50, with the same results. This was finally fixed (during the shoot) by installing a battery on the top of the movi ring to power the Bolt. Obviously, not optimum. Does that upper p-tap have less output then the other p-taps? Any suggestions out there on how to fix this issue?

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

The D-Taps have limited current output. On my setup, I have the Ignite adapters with Lemo outputs that give me a straight 24v off the TB50 batteries, so I get extra power output that way. Usually necessary for follow focuses, because I find the MDR’s draw a bit too much for the Movi’s accessory D-Taps. Have to have accessories that are 24v tolerant with that, though.

3. steve green

steve green Member

Right, so the Teradek Bolt and the Nucleus are 24v tolerant. So how do I configure the cabling to make it all work off the Movi Pro? Is the Nucleus the problem? Right now it's not working without the extra battery on the MP ring.

4. steve green

steve green Member

I should add that when the Teradak was plugged directly into the TB50 it still was intermittent, which makes no sense. Also, I'd rather not have video village go down when we hot swap TB50's, that why I'd like to power off the movi ports if possible.

5. Rick Gerard

Rick Gerard Active Member

I don't use the D-tap on the GCU because it's only 1 amp and the Teradek TX will cause it to cycle on and off. I made up a double cable and use the Aux D-tap next to the Camera Power connector to power both my on rig monitor and the Teradek TX. Works just fine. Plenty of power.

steve green likes this.
  6. steve green

steve green Member

Rick, that's exactly the symptoms we saw! Only one amp, that explains the cycling........P-tap splitter is what I'll test next, thank you!