/dist/images/branding/favicon

IPhone Xr + Polar Pro Iris ND Filters

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Alessandro Guida, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Alessandro Guida

Alessandro Guida New Member

Hi,

Do I need to buy the Counterweight system in order to use the Movi CR with iPhone Xr and Polar Pro ND Filters?

thanks!

2. Andre Yew

Andre Yew New Member

I just got my Polarpros yesterday, and on a regular-sized XS with the Apple silicone case, it was easy to do the side-side balancing. I haven't shot footage with it yet, so I'm not sure how it will hold up dynamically.

Alessandro Guida likes this.
  3. Andre Yew

Andre Yew New Member

I have an update on this, and it's not great. I actually tried to use this setup this weekend, and found out that when the camera is moved over far enough to balance the extra weight of the Iris filters, part of the gimbal's arm will show up in the frame for the wide angle lens on an iPhone XS. Moving the phone out so I can't see the gimbal unweights the balance enough that the MCR will not stabilize the phone well in either Plus or with a Custom tune (which fails to even tune). So you'll need some kind of counterweight, but it probably won't be that much.

4. Alessandro Guida

On the Xr it seems it is working fine, I have done just a test walking around in my house, this week I will try to shoot outside

5. Rick Corp

Rick Corp New Member

I am interested in seeing how they have worked out for you in the long run? Do you think you need the counterweight?

6. Alessandro Guida

I think you can use this set without the counterweight, sometimes you get a part of the movi in the shot because you have to push the iphone a bit towards the handle in order to balance it but this problem can be avoided if you rotate a bit the movi

7. Andre Yew

Andre Yew New Member

One difference between the Xr and the Xs is that the Xs has a slightly wider lens: 26mm FF equivalent FOV for the Xs vs. 28mm for the Xr, so the Xs is more prone to having the gimbal show up in the frame.

Pavel Houda likes this.