/dist/images/branding/favicon

Finished musiv video. M5, canon 5DMIV

Discussion in 'MōVI Showcase (Photo/Video)' started by David Butler II, Feb 24, 2017.

1. David Butler II

David Butler II New Member

we finished shooting a music video and record co put it out a few days ago. Used the m5 and mostly 5dmiv. Edited using FCPX10.3. Keyboard parts were not ours but provided by keyboard player. First time using m5 and editing such a project in fcpx.

Feedback welcome.

Thanks -david

2. Robert Ruffo

Robert Ruffo Member

I'm assuming you're starting out, and thus will take the time to give you feedback accordingly.

- Try to light, or at least use reflectors if you really have no budget at all. Many shots look like old-school documentary in terms of lighting - which doesn't fit the music at all.

- Think of your lens choices - music videos need variety of lens choices to really pump - everything here is wide, so we never really connect with the singer, and it makes all the shots look too much the same.

- Avoid dissolves/overlays and all other cheapie effects. Either do an awesome effect, or do nothing.

- Take the time to style your artists. Their clothes and lack of makeup/hair styling are not helping them. Maybe you did not have enough budget - fair enough - but maybe also you could have gotten someone with an eye for this - a girlfriend maybe - to help. You can buy clothes and return them after the shoot, or the band can.

- I could go on for 25 more bullet points... You really need to go to film school, or spend months reading books about editing, directing, cinematography and photography written by serious people (NOT watching youtube how to videos created for the most part by other amateurs). Try Master Class online for example. A whole year is less than $275.

I don't mean that in a cruel way. We all had to learn at some point.

Some mistakes I see in very young content creators are the kind where you say "with practice they will get better". That's not what I am seeing. I am seeing a lack of knowledge of the fundamentals of visual storytelling. You can't learn those through practice. You can only learn them through books and school. Practicing in isolation (I assume you're not apprenticing with someone advanced in a major film market) will just get you better at making the same mistakes over and over again. Practice does not, in fact, make perfect. Guided practice, with the help of a knowledgeable guide, does.