/dist/images/branding/favicon

Balancing The MCR With Moment Lens And Filter

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by Pavel Houda, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Pavel Houda

Pavel Houda Member

remove

#1 Pavel Houda, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: May 31, 2019
    Akin Oshoko and Marc Smith like this.
  2. Dave Johns

Dave Johns New Member

A fine art indeed. I have the iPhone X and enjoy shooting with the anamorphic lens plus filters (from Moment). The most frustrating part of the MCR is the difficulty in various lens/filter arrangements while out and about; not really convenient while in a busy museum to change shooting style and having to go through a balancing act. The only thing I can think of is to buy another counterweight kit to have for different setups and change out quicker.

I watched FF video a few times to get a better idea of how to balance and how the physics of the MCR works.

3. Dave Johns

Dave Johns New Member

@Pavel Houda That about sums it up. I just have to plan how I really want to shoot before heading out. It is a great little device, but I have very mixed feelings about the investment I made. Movi app is for another thread and another day.

Pavel Houda likes this.
  4. Dave Johns

Dave Johns New Member

Pavel Houda likes this.
  5. viktor manshtein

viktor manshtein New Member

I easily managed to make balancing using only a standard set of loads IMG_0480.jpg IMG_0482.jpg IMG_0484.jpg

6. viktor manshtein

i use iphone xs max
    but there is still no filter in the system, it has not yet been delivered.
    I liked the anamorphic lens more than the wide one.
    the more he comes under two lenses iPhone

7. Simon Hughes

Simon Hughes Member

I have to say that I'm amazed looking at those photos that you seem to have much more weight (both top and bottom) toward the front... I would have thought the top weight would need to be further toward the rear. (Based on balancing my 8+ with Moment Wide and filter array.)

Also wonder why your phone is not immediately abutting the weight clamp.

Pavel Houda likes this.
  8. viktor manshtein

While this is a preliminary setting, since
    I do not have the ND filter yet, it is delayed by the mail, as I receive it, I will do a more accurate balancing. I acquired filters from Breakthrough, as they are very high quality and at the same time very light, and I hope it will be easy to balance the system with them.

9. Demetri Zuev

Demetri Zuev New Member

I'm using a Xs Max with a Moment wide, a filter mount and a ND. Having two sets of counterweights I still can't balance the thing properly. The only thing I manage to balance is the "left-to-right", everything else does not hold position when with Movi disabled, no matter what I do, the slightest bump makes it trip forward or towards me. When operational motors do compensate and hold the phone steady, but that's not right, as it should be perfectly balanced with the motors off from the beginning. Very frustrated, thought that a second counterweight kit will solve the problem but I can't figure it out.

P.S.: My initial plan to use a Black Pro-Mist and an ND on top of it is crumbling fast...(

10. Demetri Zuev

Demetri Zuev New Member

Yesterday I had a small shoot for my actor friend where I used the exact setup you have on you photos (Moment wide + Tiffen pola). I still couldn't achieve the perfect balance as in your pics but motors powered through. I'll keep trying to get the balance right, I mean, if you can get it with the exact same setup so can I :) Thank a lot for such a detailed response!

Pavel Houda likes this.
  11. Jerry Tran

Jerry Tran New Member

924FBB25-AA02-4A8A-87F0-18CBE1810D18.jpeg 76986119-E817-4FAD-8EA5-8642904ADB82.jpeg 103F2A0E-733B-4A08-885E-04C65F876DB2.jpeg CCA26B0D-549A-4ECA-BC0F-9A4C6017171C.jpeg
    I also have the MCR with the moment wide filter adapter and a 62 mm ND Variable filter.
    I had no problem achieving perfect balance with the moment wide and the counter balance kit using the large and medium weights top and bottom of the rig and the two small weights on the clamp on weight.
    I did however have no luck once I added the filter adapter and a ND filter to the lense. I just didn’t have eneough weight to counter balance the lens and filter it was just to heavy so I went to Freefly site and ordered the additional weights. It was free shipping and I received them the next day. I added one small weight to the top of the rig and one medium to the bottom. And with just a slight adjustment I was in perfect balance all around.
    So that’s great for the wide lens with and with out the filter.
    The problem now is when I switch to my anamorphic lense everything completely changes again and different weight configurations are needed.
    With all the money I have invested in this already I figure why not spend another $69 for another counter balance rig and have a rig set up and dialed in for each lens.

12. Jim Heitzman

Jim Heitzman New Member

I had mixed feelings too! I thought I was doing my homework researching before I made my purchase.
    Obviously I didn't because this thread clearly spells it out for me.
    Putting this thing back in the box and off it goes on the way back to Freefly in the morning.

13. Darell Sison

Darell Sison Member

I however have a different view.

Managed to balance iPhone XS Max, Moment Case and Anamorphic Lens with standard counterweight set. I didn't even use the medium weights.

I came from a Zhiyun Smooth 4 and the ergonomics and functionality of my MCR is just above and beyond what a typical gimbal can do.

Yes the counterweight is a bit of a pain but I think once one gets comfortable with the nudges and adjustments it gets easy.

My fingers began to hurt adjusting the thumbscrews however, much like a guitarist learning string pain.

Best of luck everyone!

14. Jim Heitzman

Jim Heitzman New Member

Pain?
    Excruciating pain!

What I failed to understand was the fact of having to spend $80 more for the expensive ridiculous counterweight accessory because unless you have a small phone and don't have this kit, its a boat anchor. I have a big phone and want to use a filter of some sort, but dang. Also, you cant just grab the handle wrapping your fingers around it, nope. You got to make a weird grip keeping fingers out of the pathway from that ridiculous counterweight that's rotating while youre shooting because one bump and you've ruined your shot. Done. Toast.

I didn't expect not having the ability to just grab this gimbal, throw it in my bag and go shoot. I either have to set this all up up before I leave the house or do it after get on site (and pray it doesn't get bumped) and spend the necessary 15-20+ mins putting the phone on, adding my filter and tweaking it, balancing it out (again) getting the Movi app turned on, turn on the Filmic Pro app, go into the app Settings, turn on the hardware allowance radio button, THEN start shooting.

Oh, and pray that I brought the required small Allen wrench (not included) with me if I need to swap out the counterweights, those aren't thumbscrews at the end of them holding them together, Skippy.

I spent over $430 plus the $30 hoodie thingie to add a mount for a decent mic but you know what?
    NOT.
    I would be adding MORE weight and adding MORE bulk and this thing already feels and weighs like I have a full-on DSLR with a big heavy lens on it when I tote this around, much less what would happen if it left my hands in a stumble hitting the ground or pavement!
    If you're in a shady part of town, you cant just tuck this now- heavy monstrosity away inconspicuously away. It's pretty much out there. BUT it now is a weighty object that you can you can use as a weapon for self defense!

#14 Jim Heitzman, Apr 15, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    viktor manshtein likes this.
  15. Darell Sison

Darell Sison Member

Honestly maybe you are right. This maybe me just making the most of obviously a much more expensive investment.

I will be using it on vacation this week, using an anamorphic lens with my tuned counterweight. Removing the weights when not using the lens method.

Hopefully i wont miss a lot of shots, or else i will certainly share your pain.

16. Jim Heitzman

Jim Heitzman New Member

I bought this for our special vacation to the southwest to tour 4 states for using this in hopes of putting together a nice cinema-style movie for my family. I hate to say it but I'm not savvy to have to keep running to catch up everybody because I have to find a place to sit while I am making adjustments, fiddling with this thing every time I want to change an ND filter or swap lenses on the go. This gimbal is not that kind of friendly, for sure. Just look above at what you have to do just to get an initial set up.
    This Robot might be good for some but it's certainly not for me. Don't get me wrong, the gimbal does work well, but at a cost. My time and level of frustration is not something I give up easily after spending $500 for what's been described as close to perfect just about anywhere you look, especially those YouTube reviews. Makes me think a lot are sponsored or paid to overate a somewhat OK product.
    I certainly bit the hook and well, after spending two days with it, I totally concur that at this price point for this product, it cries out too me that this isn't worth the money I spent.
    That's a hard pill to swallow after just two days.
    I might have considered keeping it if I didn't have to lay out the extra hundred plus dollars getting to a place where it was actually useable for me for items that I would say should be included.
    Freefly brags so much on how this design is so unique. But overlooked are things like like how the attached counterweight practically slams the vertical arm at the base when locked, no object or face tracking, the ginormous size and weight. Those I consider besides the high cost are huge failures.

Sure, it looks different and nice but it's not comfortable to hold for long sessions, rattles like a diamondback in your carry bag and the grip when everything loaded is so freaking awkward and come on, BOTH hands because its so heavy?

Not a wealthy man by any stretch and I consider my purchases practically as investments.
    And to just be honest, I'm ditching mine for the DJI Osmo Pocket, this thing will serve my purpose much better.

To me, this is like buying a share of stock that dropped like a dead cat the very next day.

#16 Jim Heitzman, Apr 15, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  17. viktor manshtein

If you want to make a film according to the conceived scenario, then Movi is perfect for this, and this is doubly easier to do after an alliance with Filmic Pro. But if you need a toy while traveling without obligations and responsibility for the footage, then for this there are many more cheap devices. I have several devices for different situations, and it is convenient.

18. Dave Johns

Dave Johns New Member

I am also considering this option. More money spent makes me sad, but after a full day out and wanting to use various lenses, balancing on the run makes the $70 worthwhile... almost. Maybe I'll wait to see what an iPhone triple lens brings in the future... but I do love that Moment Anamorphic!

John Chu likes this.
  19. viktor manshtein

If used regularly, then you can quickly get the hang of reconfiguring the counterweight, and this is not difficult, and takes less time than replacing the counterweight. In addition, it is also the extra weight that you need to carry with you.

Darell Sison likes this.
  20. Darell Sison

Darell Sison Member

I totally agree, also getting a 2.5 allen wrench as prt of your kit helps. Those thumbs need some extra turn to lock properly. But you are right its not as hard as it seems once you get the hang of it.

Kirk Ramsey and Pavel Houda like this.