/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi App - recording Slow Motion in Majestic Mode?

Discussion in 'Movi Beta App' started by Laura Conover, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Laura Conover

Laura Conover New Member

Hey there Movi Fans,
    A few weekends ago, I went to the Chinese New Year Parade in Boston to catch some footage of the lion dances. On reviewing the footage today, the vast bulk of it appears to have been captured in slow motion mode, even though I'm 99.999% sure I had kept my Movi in Majestic Mode for those shots. Has anyone had a similar experience where the Movi Beta app recorded slow motion when you thought you were recording in full speed?

Or is there a new setting somewhere that I might have accidentally triggered?

2. Bryan Edmonds

Bryan Edmonds Chief Mōvi Whisperer

Laura, it sounds like you were recording at a frame rate higher than 24/30fps. Frame rate is not dictated by Movi Mode, as it can be adjusted to supported rates in any mode.

Try playing the footage back in your camera roll to see if it plays back as you expect. The iOS camera plays 60fps footage back at 60fps (real time, not slow motion), where the Movi app plays back footage at your Base Frame rate of 24fps (or 30fps if you've changed it in the Movi app).

If you do end up wanting the 60fps footage you captured with the Movi app to play back at 24 or 30fps for a slow motion effect, outside of the Movi app, you'll need to edit the playback speed in a video editing app. iMovie on your iOS device uses a speed slider if edit the clip. If you slide it half way (1/2x) from "normal" to the Turtle, you will see playback at half speed, or 30fps (slow motion).

Kevin P Riley likes this.
  3. Moyses

Moyses New Member

Oh man, I feel your pain! I had a similar thing happen to me last year when I was trying to capture some action shots at a local skate park.

4. Matthes C. Marie

Matthes C. Marie New Member

I had something similar happen during a family reunion. Thought I was capturing all these lively moments in real-time, but ended up with a bunch of slow-motion videos. It turned out I had accidentally changed a setting in the app. It's so easy to miss those tiny toggles or hidden options, isn't it?

Definitely give the settings another look, maybe there's a sneaky option that got switched on. And you know, updating your Movi's firmware could also straighten things out if it's a glitch.

But hey, if you're left with a bunch of slow-motion clips you wanted at regular speed, don't sweat it too much. This could be a golden opportunity to experiment with editing. Speeding up those clips to normal can give you some unexpectedly cool results. If you're looking for a tool to help with that, consider checking out a video editor that can handle the task. It might just turn your footage mix-up into a unique feature of your video.

#4 Matthes C. Marie, Feb 13, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2024