/dist/images/branding/favicon

Is Blackjack Firmware Release or Beta

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by steve green, Mar 2, 2019.

1. steve green

steve green Member

Getting ready to upgrade to BJ and just wondering if it's release or still beta.

What settings will change after the upgrade and is it stable?

Right now my MP is working great and I'd like to keep it that way.

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

It's considered Beta software. I've been using it for a couple of months now without issue, but I've anecdotally seen a couple of people seeing some problems here and there. Something about Roll drift issues, vibration issues, things like that.

The biggest problem I've seen people have is doing the update itself, especially on the Mimic. When Apple changed it's Bluetooth protocol, Freefly had to develop a patch to keep the iPhone from disconnecting, so there's a Bluetooth update for the Movi Pro and Mimic that has to be run before updating the software. If you're on later versions of Firmware, like 1.5 or 1.6, this may not be a problem from what I've seen, but people were updating from older versions and it wasn't working.

Again, it's all anecdotal. My experience has been very good. I do see some vibrations when the rig isn't physically dampened, like my putting a hand on the ring, and this may be due to having it tuned too high. They changed the motor outputs and settings, I believe, and they recommend a lower AutoTune default than before. I'm still getting used to this and experimenting with it.

As for the 360 Roll and all the new settings, it can make things more complicated. There's a lot to learn about working in those new modes. Freefly's done a lot with the Release guides and videos. They put video links in the Release guide which are helpful, but hard to spot. You have to click on the <PLAY> links, and it doesn't work if you download\save the PDF to your computer first.

https://freeflysystems.com/app/uploads/2019/01/Blackjack-Guide.pdf

The improvements and features in Blackjack are impressive, but for my day-to-day, I don't really notice them. Also, I'm pretty sure you can revert to previous software if you encounter problems.

damir kudin likes this.
  3. steve green

steve green Member

Graham,
    I'm sure glad I asked! Thanks for the rundown on Blackjack, I think with my limited knowledge of the intricate working of the MP, I'll wait a bit before taking the plunge. As I said, things are working well right now. I really appreciate you taking the time to educate us newbys here on the forum.
    Cheers!