/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi Pro and Alpha Wheels settings

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Dale McCready, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Deniz Ozgoren

Deniz Ozgoren Support Mage
    Staff Member

This is coming in v1.4 release!

Why can't freefly allow Dual control in majestic tilt/pan mode?
    • Can you explain this in more detail so software team can have better understanding for developing it? Thanks

2. Dragan Trifunovic

Dragan Trifunovic New Member

I'm also confused why there's no option to control tilt or pan with remote/joystick/mimic in Majestic mode?
    Many times I had requests from DOP to tilt camera up or down and leave it like that while he will control gimbal and camera movements in Majestic mode.

3. Deniz Ozgoren

Staff Member

Hello, this thread is "Movi Pro and Alpha Wheels settings", but I'll still give a quick reply. What you are asking for exists for Tilt already, but not pan:
    • If Tilt Mode is set to Smooth Lock, then a remote control can adjust tilt while pan is in majestic.
    • For this, remote control input must be a rate based input, such as Movi Controller Joystick, Pilot Joystick, Spektrum/Futaba joystick, or rate based API input. MIMIC in gestural MIMIC control mode is an absolute control mode, and wouldn't work.
    • Remote Controller also needs to be deferring control of Pan. For Movi Controller this is the case when mode switch is in the center ("M" stands for majestic). Same case for Spektrum/Futaba, where mode switch needs to be center. If you have Pilot Handle module connected to MIMIC, then you can achieve this by setting Y axis of Joystick to be Tilt control.

4. Dragan Trifunovic

Dragan Trifunovic New Member

Thank you Deniz.

5. Ryan Hamelin

Ryan Hamelin Member

Hey guys,

Anyone know if this is possible with the MoVi Wheels and the new Blackjack firmware? Would love to have the option of handing off tilt control to the wheels while maintaining majestic pan on the operator side and vice versa.

6. Deniz Ozgoren

Staff Member

If you use Wheels with MIMIC, you can have a Wheel control any axis (pan tilt roll) and let the rest to be controlled on the operator side!

7. Robert Ruffo

Robert Ruffo Member

Also works with Spektrum controllers. I am looking into finding a large RC DSMX steering wheel that can bind with the Spektrum receiver, and modding it just to get a wheel-like control for Majestic in Smooth-Lock tilt mode, in Angle mode. Such a wheel must exist.... Somewhere.... Also wish Angle mode had a smoothing option.....

8. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

9. Robert Ruffo

Robert Ruffo Member

With Alpha wheels - I've tried them but do not have a ton of experience - I've not found a way to separate out per axis control between Op and 2nd Op- it seems to be tilt AND pan or nothing. Again, as far as I know - if there is some new/other trick perhaps someone else with more experience can chime in.

I really wish there were a way - along with a way to use a Mimic for Tilt-only so that I could mount it on a fluid head. I don't see why not - the gyro in the Mimic could feed its angle to the control system just like Spektrum and Movi Controller angle modes do - then I could mount it on a fluid head and have something tremendously powerful and user friendly even for a DP who has never operated a gimbal before.

Movi is high end oriented (regardless of how inexpensive some used Movis may now be, they don't really appeal to the lower end market as much - they're powerful but complex - just not as much what "quick and dirty tun and gun" types are looking for) and features like this are part of what keep Movi popular on more planned and higher production value sets - and set Movi apart from Ronin.

10. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

I can't remember exactly, but I think I have given Tilt to a 2nd Operator on the Alpha Wheels, and I maintained Majestic Pan on the Movi. This allowed me to handle the more complex back-panning of the shot while the other operator concentrated on head-room.

The way I did it was using the Alpha Wheels with SBus XR transmitter, which has a knob for Tilt and a knob for Pan. If you leave the Pan knob in the center, it goes to Majestic, and you can just engage the Tilt knob for the wheel control.

I don't have the Movi set up at the moment, but maybe I can confirm this when I next have it up. I definitely remember the DP I worked with wanted to have this type of control.

11. Robert Ruffo

Robert Ruffo Member

Great to know!