/dist/images/branding/favicon

Thread for beta testers of the Movi Android App.

Discussion in 'Movi Beta App (Android)' started by Andy Johnson-Laird, Aug 15, 2018.

1. SM Stewart

SM Stewart New Member

I thought so, too. I'm sure somebody said 1st week of November.

Would be really good to get this thing working properly on Android - such a HUGE market :)

2. SM Stewart

SM Stewart New Member

Hi,
    Could somebody post an indication when the next update is due?
    Thanks.

Justin Schnepf likes this.
  3. Harry Young

Harry Young New Member

Maybe by "next week in our public beta" in the Nov 2nd message, he meant next month. The lack of updates is pretty frustrating.

4. Dave Tow

Dave Tow New Member

Waiting for my Freefly Movi unit to arrive but grabbed the GooglePlay beta app to have a play around.

Noticed it's only v1.0.5 whereas the website Compatability chart mentions v1.1, am I missing something?

Also noticed it doesn't have 4K60 as an option for the Note9? Will this be addressed as FilmicPro can record in high bitrate 4K60 so hopefully Movi can do the same?

Finally, any plans for a flat colour profile setting? (flat/log). I did read a thread somewhere suggesting that the Filmic ProLOG profile was a fake software fudge and wasn't really a flat profile at all, not sure if this is true, but any way of getting a less baked in recording would be awesome.

Thanks for the development guys, hopefully the Android version can catch up fast, especially given some of the awesome cameras available on Pixel/Samsung etc!

5. Bryan Edmonds

Bryan Edmonds Chief Mōvi Whisperer

We want each release to be as solid as possible, but we should have communicated the schedule slip better. With almost every Android device requiring special development treatment, it's a challenge to keep up the pace. We appreciate the wait and support!

We are in the final stages of approval to release the v1.1 release of the beta app. Keep an eye out for the update notification!

Dave Tow likes this.
  6. Banji Oyewole

Banji Oyewole New Member

Hello All,

Movi app for Android Beta 1.1 is now available through Google Play.

Beta 1.1 introduces all the Movi shooting methods to Android. That said, Movilapse is still not available for select Samsung devices (we're working on it!), and we're still confronting some manufacturer restrictions regarding FPS and recording resolution. If you want to check out specifics for your device, there's a chart at gomovi.com/compatibility

Remember, this is still a beta--we're still squashing some bugs and looking for more so please continue to share your feedback on the application here, the submission forum and through Google Play!

Cheers!

You won't be able to access the beta unless you enroll in the program. You can enroll in the beta program here!
    https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.freeflysystems.ff_movi_cr

Bryan Mordt, Akin Oshoko and Dave Tow like this.
  7. Dave Tow

Dave Tow New Member

Great new thanks. Fingers crossed you can get 4K60 from the Samsung Note 9, either that or somehow work with FilmicPRO as those guys seem to have figured it out :) Cheers.

8. Chris Beda

Chris Beda New Member

Im shocked right now. Literally within 60 secs of reading this thread I realized (like others before me) I had downloaded the wrong andriod app. Ive had my movi freefly for 3 months and have been trying to set it up off and on since. Signing up for the forum literally paid of the next day give or take plus 120 secs. You gotta love an engaged community! Im very excited for what happens next.

9. Dave Tow

Dave Tow New Member

@Banji Oyewole Thanks and I'm enjoying the new app update. All is going well so far on the Note 9, but as I mentioned, 4K60 is an absolute MUST DO guys, please can you focus on this.....Or even allow Movi app to work alongside FilmicPro or something? Before I'm tempted to jump to an Osmo Pocket! ;) (that smooth 4K slomo!)

#49 Dave Tow, Nov 29, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  10. Stephen Martin Morgan

11. Stephen Martin Morgan

Hi i just got my Movi a week ago having tried all the rest Osmo and Zhiyun this is far the best .I am on android Samsung S8 plus and can see i cant do 4k at the moment but love this thing. In echo mode i get some unpredictable results up and down presets go up then down back to up.They same as A-B mode.Then the focus mode doesn't seem to work sometimes i flip back to 1080 then back to 3k for it to focus.Great product that will only get better

12. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper New Member

First post here. Thanks for making a great product. I've had my movi for a few weeks now and she getting the hang of it. Yesterday, the Google play store notified me of an app update. I couldn't find a changelog and i haven't seen any new features. Says it is certain 1.1.0

Was this just a minor bug fix update?

Are you going to be adding shutter speed and iso control to the app?

Thanks,
    Andrew

13. Banji Oyewole

Banji Oyewole New Member

Andrew,

Shutter speed and iso control are not currently on our development schedule.

If you are enrolled in the Beta program, then this update was a minor update. If not, your previous application version was 1.0.5.
    The highlights from the changelog should be visible on the Google Play store, but the full release notes are available here.

1.1.0 introduced some performance improvements, fixes for Google Pixel 3, and 3 XL as well as introduced stable builds of Movi methods like Echo, Movilapse, Timelapse, Orbit, Barrel Roll and Smartpod.

We're working on making Movilapse and Timelapse even better for certain Samsung devices. More information can be found in the full release notes here:

https://freeflysystems.com/movi-cr-android-notes

14. Michael Hannigan

Michael Hannigan New Member

You have 120 and 240 FPS on the Note 9? Strange. I can only get 24 and 30 FPS on it with Movi.

15. Robert Kadelka

Robert Kadelka New Member

Not in the Movi app. In Filmic Pro and the Moment app I have those frame rates

16. Michael Hannigan

Filmic support claims that these frame rates are only possible with the Exynos version of the Note 9. I have the Snapdragon version and get these same frame rates with OpenCamera using the Camera2 API. I don't have Filmic yet, but I think I'm going to have to try it myself to find out.

There seems to be a lot of misinformation out there about claims of mysterious limits regarding the Note 9 that simply don't exist. But developers assume these limitations exist and therefore just skip adding them to the app. It's all very weird and very confusing. I would be grateful if someone truly knowledgeable in this area would speak up. I'd even settle for an "Ok, you got me... The truth is we don't really know enough about the Note 9 variants to say".

Like I said, I know for a fact that these frame rates work with the Snapdragon Note 9 using a third party camera app (OpenCamera). So there is no real limitation on the camera's ability to do it. I'd love it if devs would stop the bs about this and shoot straight.

17. Robert Kadelka

OK to set things straight. Samsung is using its own proprietary software running the camera. The SDK is now open but it's a challenge to work with. I use the Exynos version of the Note9 and yes it is capable of those frame rates, however third party developers haven't been able to get these frame rates to be consistent. You'll find, that shooting at these high rates, the end result will be all over the place. You'll get deviations of 10 or even 20 frames. Check what you shot with Open Camera, I'd be very interested to see if those videos actually have the right amount of frames. Actually I'm gonna try it too, you got me interested
    So it's not devs bs-ing, it's about delivering a product that will do what it claims.

18. Michael Hannigan

Ok... maybe you can take a look at this and tell me you still don't think devs are spreading BS. In the direct reply I received from Filmic regarding this, they send me to this link to "educate" me.
    https://filmicpro.helpscoutdocs.com/article/42-samsung-note-9-filmic-pro-v6-compatibility-guide
    The information is COMPLETELY FABRICATED! LOL! And the dev parrots everywhere else are saying the same thing because I guess they've "heard it somewhere".

I know that what you are telling me is what you've been told - the same thing I've been told by seemingly separate dev teams. I was hoping that a real answer could come from one of the developers that claims this spooky camera interaction on the Note 9.
    FACT: Samsung Note9 Fully Supports the Camera2 API for video.
    FACT: When NOT using the Carmera2 API, the Note9 DOES have various framerates for video exposed to 3rd party apps. Those framerates (at 1080 FHD) are:
    15fps, 24fps, 25fps, 30fps, 60fps, 96fps, 120fps
    FACT: When USING the Camera2 API, the Note9 ALSO has various framerates for video exposed to 3rd party apps, although they are different. Those framerates (at 1080 FHD) are:
    15fps, 24fps, 25fps, 30fps, 60fps, 240fps
    FACT: When you record using those framerates on the Note9 with a 3rd party app, they do indeed produce those framerates - at least on the Snapdragon version. There are claims that the capabilities in this regard are different between the Exynos and the Snapdragon versions of the Note9, but I honestly don't see how/why that would be true - particularly when we know that the same Snapdragon SOC does those framerates in other phones.
    FACT: Despite all this proof, devs repeat the bs at links like this. https://filmicpro.helpscoutdocs.com/article/42-samsung-note-9-filmic-pro-v6-compatibility-guide . They don't talk of a nuanced incompatibility. They say it's broken or they say it cannot be done. Both are lies - or, if I give them the benefit of the doubt, they are at least spreading incorrect information based on their lack of understanding, knowledge, or desire to work on it.

19. Robert Kadelka

Well I'm in one of these teams testing a video app. I can tell you first hand that frame rates are all over the place.
    Also I'm very close to Samsung and in fact the Snapdragon and Exynos SOC-s do have different capabilities. Samsung evens out the discrepancies not to get uproar from users. The Exynos SOC is more capable in the camera department, the Snapdragon is better at some other things.

20. Michael Hannigan

You are a dev or you are a beta tester? Big difference.

The Snapdragon is absolutely capable of handling video at over 30 fps in HD and 4K. The information at that link says it's not - which is absolutely silly. I'm assuming you have the Exynos based on your location. One SOC may handle some things faster or better than the other (and in most cases that's the Snapdragon), but they have the same capabilities. There's absolutely no way one variant can do 60 FPS and the other doesn't. Especially, as I said, with the same Snapdragon SOC in other phones (like the Pixel). The lack of critical thinking on the part of devs is absolutely mind-boggling. Honestly, I think it's laziness. And the Camera2 API is the Camera2 API. It doesn't change when it's on a different variant of the same phone.