/dist/images/branding/favicon

Correct basic setup

Discussion in 'Movi Technical' started by DavidARogers, Jan 25, 2019.

Tags:
  1. DavidARogers

DavidARogers New Member

I am using an iPhone Xs.

One thing that concerns me, and I can find no images one way or another, is the nature of the phone position in relation to the Movi Robot.

The screen is never parallel to the unit. Using the center join line as the guide. When I am holding it I can sense when the units center line is parallel to my body but the screen never is (see Image)

I am always having to push right hand forward to compensate for the pan. This is not intuitive and makes tilting and maintaining axis difficult. It ends up with a slight roll.

I am curious as to other users observations. Does your phone run parallel with the unit?

I know the beta software corrected for poor roll balance as a factory spec but there is no pan adjustment. Im not looking for this as a feature to be added, Im looking for an explanation as to why the pan would be off in the first place. Seems to be a quality control unless its designed this way. In which case Id like to know why.

Attached Files:

2. Kevin P Riley

Kevin P Riley Active Member

I have never looked at mine from that angle, it keeps the horizon level and keeps the shake out of the video, so it does what I need.

3. Pavel Houda

Pavel Houda Member

Mine looks perfectly parallel with the base. Do you set the "tolerance" to zero bars when you check it? Otherwise there is a built in "slap".

4. Mary Ulsamer

Mary Ulsamer New Member

Mine looks like yours, with iphone xs max and moment case, wide lens, counterweights. I am concerned too.

5. Pavel Houda

Pavel Houda Member

This is what I see. The MCR needs to be set ito no bars Window and Fast Response to be centered, or it might stay at the edge of the range. You might ask Freefly...

Attached Files:

#5 Pavel Houda, Feb 20, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  6. Mary Ulsamer

Mary Ulsamer New Member

Thank you, Pavel. I just tried this and it worked! I wish there was a user guide other than what they have. I still don’t know what the window means!

7. Pavel Houda

Pavel Houda Member

Window is a adjustable region of angle of motion that the gimbal ignores. It is useful when you are walking, running or otherwise shaking the rig, but if the motion exceeds this region, it can follow it at various set speeds. How you use it is an artistic choice. On the other hand speed is related but different. When you are capturing say sports action, you want to follow it. One of the characteristics of the Steadicam Volt that Garrett Brown claimed cannot be matched by gimbals is its whip pan. To my knowledge the MCR is the only gimbal addressing this is in phone market.

If the window tolerance is set wide, the gimbal will make no effort to correct the shot direction unless it gets outside the set window, which is why your phone is out of parallel with the gimbal, but if you close the window (no bars), it will set the phone parallel with the base.

8. Mary Ulsamer

Mary Ulsamer New Member

Great explanation. It makes sense now. Thank you, Pavel!!