/dist/images/branding/favicon

Off rig batteries

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by SamMorganMoore, Feb 16, 2019.

1. SamMorganMoore

SamMorganMoore New Member

Is there an extension lead to take the batteries to a belt pack (or suchlike) to cut the mass of the gimbal system when handholding?

If not ..Could I fabricate one? And if so does anyone know the type of spade connectors that go in/out of the batteries.

Can I use other batteries (I understand that it is 26v which might basically be 2 Vlocks in series) - or is there some form of chip that spots off brand batteries?

Any reasons beyond cable tangling why this is a bad idea

Thank you.

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Ignite Digi used to make a battery adapter for the Movi Pro, but they discontinued it in favor of an adapter that allows you to use the DJI TB50's, which give double the run-time. They felt that was a better solution than the adapter. Sometimes you can find used ones available for sale, or maybe contact them about making something for you. They're geniuses over there. IgniteDigi.com.au

I want to say the Movi Pro uses a type of Molex power connector, but I've forgotten where to find that discussion. You can get 26V 6S Lipo batteries pretty inexpensively. That is, if you're handy with electronics. I know I saw someone who built the opposite kind of thing, that would discharge his batteries by putting a load on them, to bring them down to half-charge for storage.

Honestly though, why do you need to cut the mass down for handheld? Are you not getting good-enough motor response? Is it too heavy for you? Beyond cable entanglements, the other problem is you'll have to keep plugging in the rig and boot up your camera\video transmitter if it's powered through the Movi Pro, which I think would be a pain.

3. SamMorganMoore

SamMorganMoore New Member

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Any further info on the exact connector spec would be great.

Yep its a bit heavy for me (lots of gubbins.. focus motor, Transmitter operator monitor etc) - also I want to try some configurations on my old Steadicam and Mini Jib.. so its logical to move mass off the rig where possible, especially situations where I will be actively seeking a counter mass in another location.

4. Rob Weidner

Rob Weidner New Member

I as well as a bunch of guys down in South Africa, run a super flexi custom power cable along the gimbal and then into a backpack to power the camera, and then let the gimbal power everything else. Works great for runtime and allows for easy travel, because you don't have to carry as many Movi packs with you.