/dist/images/branding/favicon

TB-50's & Nucleus-M Power issue

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by steve green, Feb 15, 2019.

1. steve green

steve green Member

Hi there!
    I switched over to TB-50 batteries on my MP with the Ignite adapters. All works perfect until I turn on the Nucleus motor. Then the Red camera powers down. If I isolate the motor, plugging into the P-tap on the MP with no camera, and turn on the Nucleus motor, it flashes for a split second and turns off. This is with nothing else powered through the MP. What is causing this? The Nucleus works fine plugged into the camera with a battery on the back but going through the MP system there's not enough power to get one motor to power up. Any help would be appreciated!
    Cheers,
    Steve

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Are you plugging the Nucleus into the Camera power DTap or the Accessory power DTap on the Movi Pro?

Which RED camera are you using? Do you have anything else plugged into the Red, like a RED LCD monitor? If so, what size monitor? The 7” LCD draws a lot of power in addition to the RED.

3. steve green

steve green Member

I was plugging into the accessory port for the Nucleus and the CAM port for the camera. Using a Red Monstro, with a 7"LCD. Camera and Bolt work fine off the TB-50, but as soon as I press the power button on the Nucleus, camera shuts down. The strange thing is even with the camera powered off the Nucleus will not power up. It flashes and turn off immediately.

4. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

If you just plug the Nucleus into the Camera DTap, does it work? I’m not sure if the power draw, but I often find Focus MDR’s draw too much power for the Movi’s accessory DTap, or perhaps they draw it too sharply, and that trips the circuit.

For Focus MDR’s that can accept up to 30volts, I use the Ignite Digi TB50 adapters with Lemo outputs, and plug direct into the batteries. But some accessories are only 12-15volt tolerant, so you have to be careful.

5. steve green

steve green Member

I think I just tried to plug into the accessory port. I'll have another look this weekend and try some of the things you suggested. Yes, I think the TB50 lemo is a good option. I'm told by Tom at Ignite that the Nucleus will handle the 24v. Thanks for the help! If you think of anything else I might try, post away!!!

6. Daniel Waghorne

I'm currently using the Nucleus M as our motors for FIZ, and had the same issue. Here's the workaround:

1. Power Teredek (or whatever transmitter) through the accessory port
    2. Use a p-tap splitter and power the Red and Nucleus both from the camera power port
    3. ***POWER ON THE NUCLEUS FIRST. The Nucleus has a huge power spike when it turns on and will shut down any camera being powered through the Movi, regardless of TB-50 or Movi Batt. Once the nucleus is on, THEN turn on the camera. This is the same for any Red camera or Alexa Mini.

Let me know if that helps.

7. steve green

steve green Member

Daniel,
    Thanks for the tip, I'll use that order of powering up the components. What I did though, just in case, is switched out my TB-50 adapters to ones with 24v lemo's and bought a 24v-14v P-tap splitter from Media Blackout. I haven't needed the lemo's or the splitter because strangely, the Nucleus is powering up fine. Go figure? But I'm ready when it doesn't power up!
    Cheers,
    Steve